cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server BEX2012 Config and License

ksdst1
Level 5

Hi all!  My Dell rep suggested that I go with a poweredge 510 or 520 which don't have internal room for an LTO4 HH drive.  He mentioned using my existing power edge 820 server (currently w/ BEX 10d), LTO dirve, and external JBOD array as a "media" type server to handle all the D2D2T backups of the new file server in conjuction with the new file server.

My questions;  Is this practical in regard to read/write speeds from the "media" server to the new file server (i assume the interface is via network)?  And, if so, what is the BEX 2012 setup config like?  Install on the file server full version and then a client version on the "media" server?  or the other way around?  

tnx....

ps...looks like the poweredge rack 710 and tower 710 can handle an interal LTO tape drive but the pricing gets away from my budget.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Normal LTO1? Or bigger? Either way, first point-of-call is to check and make sure your device is on the BE 2012 HCL. Check the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175582

If it isn't, then you're going to have to consider buying a supported drive.

You'd install BE 2012 on the server with the tape drive. Once done, run LiveUpdate and install any outstanding patches. On completion, you can then push-install the RAWS agent to the server/s you want to back up.

You can configure a D2D2T job...first backup runs to disk, which then duplicates to tape once it completes.

The speed of your LAN and the tape drive will dictate how fast you can get data to your media server.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Normal LTO1? Or bigger? Either way, first point-of-call is to check and make sure your device is on the BE 2012 HCL. Check the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175582

If it isn't, then you're going to have to consider buying a supported drive.

You'd install BE 2012 on the server with the tape drive. Once done, run LiveUpdate and install any outstanding patches. On completion, you can then push-install the RAWS agent to the server/s you want to back up.

You can configure a D2D2T job...first backup runs to disk, which then duplicates to tape once it completes.

The speed of your LAN and the tape drive will dictate how fast you can get data to your media server.

Thanks!