cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Set properties in BE 2012 - Overwrite protection period.

Vitor_Martins
Level 3

Hi,

I would like to clarifiy this my question, if anyone can help I appreciate.
The overwrite protection period is the only time that the data or tape can not be rewritten, but the backups can be read and restored beyond that period? Example, if the overwrite protection period is 2 weeks I can access and restore these backups after 4 weeks?

Thanks

VM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Yes, you can restore the backups after 4 weeks (provided, it has not been overwritten by another job betweek 2nd to 4th week smiley)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Overwrite protection period creates no restrictions on the restore/read capabilities of the media.

As the name suggest "Over-write" protection only controls the Write feature on any media.

If your overwrite protection period is of 2 weeks, it will not allow the media to be Overwritten for that long. Which means, the content on that media can be read and restored or manually erased, but, cannot be overwritten by any job for 2 weeks (going by the example above).

For more information on Overwrite Protection period and Append period, watch the following video:

Video: Basics of Overwrite protection period and append period

Article: An explaination of overwrite protection period and append period

Vitor_Martins
Level 3

Tanks SB,

My question is, the overwrite protection period, is not the period of validity of the backup, what means that I can  restore the backups after 4 weeks, right?

VM

lmosla
Level 6

Yes, the overwrite protection period doesnt affect the ability to restore data.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Yes, you can restore the backups after 4 weeks (provided, it has not been overwritten by another job betweek 2nd to 4th week smiley)

Vitor_Martins
Level 3

effectively.
Thanks.