cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media sets, overwrite protection and append settings???

philp
Level 3

I've watched the Backupexec 2010 support videos several times now and still havent quite got my head around it. Let's say i'm using tape and wanted to configure my backup stratergy as follows:

- Perform differential backups Monday > Thursday
 - Perform a full backup each Friday
 - Retain backup data for 30 days
 - Full backups will be taken off-site/offline each Friday

On this basis i'd assume i'd create two media sets, one for the daily differentials and another for the Friday full backups. I'd configure these media sets as follows:

- Daily Differential
  - - 5 days Overwrite protection
  - - 1 day append

- Full Backup
  - - 30 days Overwrite protection
  - - No append allowed.

Can anyone confirm if the about is correct, if not where have i gone wrong how should it be configured? 

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your setting is o.k.  If you don't need to append to your diff backup, you can set it not to append.  For your full backup, if you need to overwrite your data exactly on the 30th day, then you need to set the OPP to 29 days.  The OPP is calculated from the end of the backup job.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your setting is o.k.  If you don't need to append to your diff backup, you can set it not to append.  For your full backup, if you need to overwrite your data exactly on the 30th day, then you need to set the OPP to 29 days.  The OPP is calculated from the end of the backup job.

philp
Level 3
great thanks, i was hoping that was correct ;)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How about closing out this discussion by marking my answer as the solution?