cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Information Store vs. Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes/Public Folders

Dave_infla
Level 2
I'm new to version 10.1d and it's been awhile since I've had to backup an exchange server, so excuse the ignorance in advance.

What's the difference between the check box for the "Microsoft Information Store" and the two boxes for "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" and "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders"?

I'm able to backup the later two with the file open option active, but the "Microsoft Information Store" pukes. I did read a note that I should be using VSS to backup the Exchange Store, but I thought that's what the Mailboxes and Public Folders were!?

I'm confused, please explain.

Thanks,
7 REPLIES 7

Dave_infla
Level 2
Anyone?

sammyc53
Level 5
I think your question needs clarification. I have no idea what you are asking :)

Sorry.

Dave_infla
Level 2
When setting up a Job, under selections, the first two items listed are:

"Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes"
and
"Microsoft Exchange Public Folders"

Towards the bottom of the selection list I find the following listed:

"Microsoft Information Store"
with the "First Storage Group" listed below it
and "Mailbox Store (servername)" and "Public Folder Store (servername)" below it

They both appear to be the same items, albeit the first set at a root selection level and the later nested, I'm confused, why both?

I am able to backup the items labeled "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" and "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders" with the Advanced Open File Option turned on, but I have to turn AOFO off to backup the selection labeled "Microsoft Information Store"

Please explain why these seem to be duplicates and if they are, why can I backup one with AOFO turned on and the other I can't?

And why ARE they listed twice?

Thanks,

Dave

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the BE admin guide for detailed information:

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/279401.pdf

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Dave - i think what you need here is some basic Exchange knowledge.

Exchange stores mail information at a high level in "Storage Groups".
Each SG may have a number of "Stores".
One of the SGs will also have the Public Folders - just another Store.

Each store is a DATABASE - 2 files, really - *.stm & *.edb.
The public folder store will be the same.

Corresponding to each STORAGE GROUP (NOT STORE) is a set of transaction logs.

(If you're careful not to delete anything, you can use Explorer on your Exchange server and find all this)

When you use the "Information Store" selection, you are backing up these raw database files, as one large file, and, if you set the option, flushing the transaction logs.

You DO NOT use the AOFO for this - you are NOT backing up EACH MESSAGE as an individual file. You are backup up the databases as a whole, the that's the purpose of the Agent for Exchange.

This type of backup happens quickly, and is the one you need to do a full Exchange environment restore in case of disaster.
Do it FIRST, do it to it's own backup job, get it over and done with. SAFE.

Whe you use the "Exchange Mailboxes" selection, you are backing up each individual mail message as a separate virtual file. This takes much much longer.
But, it lets you, in the restore tab, drill down to an individual user's mail items and restore as appropriate.

If you have the time, and your backup media has the capacity, you could run a second backup job to the same media as the "Information Store" backup and APPEND the mailbox backup.

There really is lots and lots of info about this in the Backup Exec help file. With this basic knowledge of the Exchange structure, I'm sure you'll be able to work your way through it.

hope this helps.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Owen,

This forum is meant for technical queries related to Backup Exec only. Kindly, do

not encourage and continue any non-technical discussions further.

We appreciate your co-operation on this.

Thanks,