cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Existing Backup Exec Data to 64-Bit 2010

pnewell
Level 4

Good day,

I am in the midst of implementing an Exchange 2010 infrastructure.  To my surprise (and annoyance) I learned that not only couldn't my BE 12.5 server backup the new Exchange 2010 servers, but I have to either format the exisint media server or set up a new one, as my existing 12.5 media server is 32-bit (Windows 2008) .  I learned that AFTER upgrading the media server to 2010. 

So, is there a way to migrate the existing data (primarily job data; I'm not too concerned about job histories) from the 32-bit server to a 64-bit server (likely to Windows 2008 R2)?  I found this article earlier http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129826, but it doesn't say anything about there being a difference between 32-bit and 64-bit media servers, so I figured I'd ask first. 
Furthermore, if I was to format & reuse the same server, could I just copy the Catalog files and the .MDB and .LDB and replace them after the install? 

Thanks in advance!  :) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

So, is there a way to migrate the existing data (primarily job data; I'm not too concerned about job histories) from the 32-bit server to a 64-bit server (likely to Windows 2008 R2)?  I found this article earlierhttp://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129826, but it doesn't say anything about there being a difference between 32-bit and 64-bit media servers, so I figured I'd ask first. 

The below article states that you should not migrate from 32bit to 64bit server, 

however you will find multiple forum threads where people were able to migrate

from 32bit to 64bit server. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

AmolB

Hello 

To backup Exchange 2010 you need to install BE2010 or BE2010R2 on win 2008 64bit 

or Win 2008 R2 server. You may install BE2010 and then migrate the BE12.5 database 

which will help you to retain all the jobs and settings. Follow the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296

EDIT:

Furthermore, if I was to format & reuse the same server, could I just copy the Catalog files and the .MDB and .LDB and replace them after the install? 

This will be applicable if you install the same version of BE.

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi,

1 First thing is yes you can do migration from 32 to 64 bit server

2 For same please take the copy of your existing data & catalog folder on some other location by stopping SQL service for backupexec

3 Then once you install the BE 2010 r2 on 64 bit server please stop the sql service & then go to C-program files-symantec-backupexec-data folder where BE 2010 r2 is installed & please cut the bedb_dat.mdf & ldf file to some other drive on that computer & the backup which you have for 12.5 data folder please copy those 2 file from that folder & paste in data folder on BE 2010 r2

4 Now copy the catalog folder which you have for BE 12.5 in c-program files-symantec-backupexec dir & click on yes to overwrite

5 Then please start SQL service for bkupexec for BE2010 by going to services for windows

Also open registry on BE 2010 server & go to HKLM | Software | Symantec | Backup Exec for Windows | Backup Exec | "VersionNumber" | Install        

Modify the value of "Upgrade" to 1.
      (Create as a Dword if it is not present)

Modify the value of  "Upgrade Version" to the version 12.5.2213.0

6 Then open command prompt & go to c-program file -symantec-backupexec-using cd & run bemig for same refer link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50537

7 If your computer name for BE 12.5 & BE 2010 r2 is different then before doing bemig you will have to run osql command

Open a command prompt on the new Backup Server and enter the following;

osql -E -S <new-server-name>\BKUPEXEC (enter)
1>use bedb (enter)
2>go (enter)
1>SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition (enter)
2>go (enter)
*At this point, the old server-name should be listed
1>UPDATE DataPartition SET PartitionName=<'new-server-name'> WHERE PartitionID =0 (enter)
2>Go (enter)
* # of rows affected should be listed

To verify the change took place; run the original commands:
1>SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition (enter)
2>Go (enter)
*At this point the new server-name should be listed

Type quit to exit OSQL

for same please refer link below
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296

Once you quit this then follow step no 6 & complete the migration

Thank You

AmolB

So, is there a way to migrate the existing data (primarily job data; I'm not too concerned about job histories) from the 32-bit server to a 64-bit server (likely to Windows 2008 R2)?  I found this article earlierhttp://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129826, but it doesn't say anything about there being a difference between 32-bit and 64-bit media servers, so I figured I'd ask first. 

The below article states that you should not migrate from 32bit to 64bit server, 

however you will find multiple forum threads where people were able to migrate

from 32bit to 64bit server. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

pnewell
Level 4

Thank you for the reply, Sammy.  The links you and Amol provided look like they'll be helpful! 

pnewell
Level 4

Amol,

In reference to your first post, I already upgraded the 12.5 system to 2010 (R2, actually). 

In reference to your second post, where does that link say you shouldn't migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit?  I see that it says:

• When moving from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system it is recommended that any Backup Exec version upgrades should be performed on the 32-bit system first prior to following the instructions contained in this TechNote.

EDIT:  Thank you for the link though; it looks like it will be quite helpful. 

AmolB

Actually the article states the below point

Do not follow this procedure if the following is true: 

• Backup Exec is clustered.
  • The Backup Exec Shared Storage Option (SSO) is installed.
  • The Backup Exec Server Free Option is installed.
  • The computer where Backup Exec is installed and the computer where it will be installed are running two different versions of the Windows Operating System.
  • If planning to move Backup Exec to a different drive/directory on the server.
  • If upgrading from one version/revision (build) of Backup Exec to another

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick response on same & follow the steps giveb by me & it should take care of you jobs configuration & catalog

I will be waiting for your update about how it works

Thank You again & appreciate your time & patience

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Amol, that tech note specifically states that 32 to 64 bit migration IS supported

See the third bullet

The information in this TechNote applies to the following scenarios:

• Moving an installation of Backup Exec from one 32-bit system to another 32-bit system.
  • Moving an installation of Backup Exec from one 64-bit system to another 64-bit system.
  • Moving an installation of Backup Exec from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system.
  • Moving Backup Exec to another system where the Backup Exec Database (BEDB) is installed on a SQL 2000, 2005, or 2008 instance.
  • Moving Backup Exec to another system where the system being moved is a Central Administration Server (CAS).
  • Moving DLO from one Backup Exec system to another Backup Exec system.

The note about not migrating from one OS version to another is still in the "Do Not Use If ..." section

AmolB

My mistake, Thanks Ken.

pnewell
Level 4

Okay, I'm back in business. 

Just needed to backup the "Data" directory (databases and such) and "Catalogs" then put them in to their proper folders after formatting/reloading Windows and Backup Exec. 

Thanks again, guys!  Have a great weekend! 

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

Great to hear all setup fine & worked well. Also would like to request to close the thread if it is all working fine

Again thanks for all your responses & have great weekend too

Thank You

pnewell
Level 4

Thanks Sammy,

Yes, this thread can be closed now.