cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating beckup exec 11d

Dean_Wheatley
Level 3

I have recently been looking at a number of post regarding migrating servers.  I have installed 11d on both servers and varified that they are both updated to the latest version through live update, revision 5.  They are both part of the same domain and I have been using the domain admin password to ensure that I have full access to the server.

I have tried 2 migration methods, 1 suggesting to simply copy the catalog and data folders from the old server to the new yet this results in me not being able to connect to the new server as there seems to be a password or authentication issue.

2nd method is to use the beutility and copy the config data from the old server and then apply the config data to the new server.  However when I do that I get an error - The RPC failed and did not execute.

Any ideas where to go next?

Dean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Dean 

1st method will not work as both the servers are having different server name.

Try this, Stop SQL server BKUPEXEC service and  copy BEDF_dat.mdf and BEDB_log.ldf

from the old server to new server. Open BEutility.exe on the new server and perform 

copy database and then replace the catalogs folder.

Link for Copy database: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49757

EDIT: BEDF_dat.mdf and BEDB_log.ldf files are located at X:\Program Files\symantec\

Backup Exec\Data

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB

Hi Dean 

1st method will not work as both the servers are having different server name.

Try this, Stop SQL server BKUPEXEC service and  copy BEDF_dat.mdf and BEDB_log.ldf

from the old server to new server. Open BEutility.exe on the new server and perform 

copy database and then replace the catalogs folder.

Link for Copy database: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49757

EDIT: BEDF_dat.mdf and BEDB_log.ldf files are located at X:\Program Files\symantec\

Backup Exec\Data

Dean_Wheatley
Level 3

....If the computer name could have caused the issue in method 1.  But method 2 with the copy databases seems to have done the trick.  I can now see all my databases and catalogs in the new server....

Thanks for the advice.

Dean

AmolB

Cool, mark the above post as solution and close this forum thread