cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed Job & no notification

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
My backup job last night was missed (BE couldn't find the library).  I didn't get a email notification.  How do I set it to notify me if a job is missed?
15 REPLIES 15

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Anyone? 

Maybe a Symantec tech since this is one of your support channels?

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
bump.

Waiting on Symantec support to respond.

Bee_Moua_2
Level 3
Maybe this will help you out.

1.) In BE, click on the Tool menu. There should be a selection to configure E-mail and Pager - start there first.
If you want BE to send you e-mails, then configure the SMTP configuration. If you want to be notified by pager, then configure that, and so forth.

2.) After you configure the SMTP, you will want to setup Recipients. Under the Tool menu again, select Recipients. Add the people that needs notification.

3.) Under Tools again, configure the "Assign Recipients to Alert Categories." There you can choose what notifications are sent and to whom it will be sent to.

4.) Edit your jobs or policies, and under the notification section, select the recipient(s) who needs to be notified if there are problems.

I have searched around, but I couldn't find the "Missed Jobs" notification. I hope this helps or at least put you in the right path.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Bee,
Thanks for the post but I'm already receiving email messages for the Alerts I've defined them for.  The problem with a Missed backup is there is no Alert for them.  There is nothing in the Alerts but the job does show up in the Job History with a stats of Missed.

I find it perplexing that there isn't an Alert for this.  One would think that a notification to the admin would be a good idea no matter what the reason for a job failure.

I'm still waiting on Symantec Tech support for an answer.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I don't think you can have notifications for missed jobs, because (as you say) there is no alert category for it.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
If there isn't there should be and then it's a design bug. 

I'm still waiting on Symantec support...........

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Still waiting on Symantec support....

6 days and counting

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6

Stumpr2
Level 6

Dennis Thornton wrote:

United States and Canada
Telephone:
+1 800 342 0652 or 407 357 7600

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Sorry, I don't have a couple hours available to sit on hold.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
You could submit it as an enhancement request at http://enhancement.symantec.com

Garen_Keshishia
Level 4
This is a much needed alert catagory since my jobs occasionaly "miss" for no reason.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I'd like to get Symantec's response before I assume there isn't a way to do this.  Since they've indicated (via their web site) this forum is a vehicle for support we should be able to get an answer from them here.

thegoolsby
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Dennis,

I apologize for the long delay in getting a response to your query.

Unfortunately, there is no alert category for a missed job. As Hywel indicated, it would be a good enhancement to the product, and I encourage you to make an enhancement request.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Symantec Product Feedback

Help us improve Symantec products by providing us with your suggestions and ideas. Feedback will be reviewed by the appropriate product team to evaluate trends and to identify the most common suggestions across the entire customer base. Your ideas can impact Symantec products in many ways, and might even be incorporated into future product releases.