cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Missing' Media

Ldoodle
Level 5

Hiya,

Got a weird one here. Basically been using dedupe since July and all's been working well, until recently.

Notice some duplicate jobs were failing randomly (they'd fail once every 7 days with error E0000605), so checked the state of the media and a lot of them have what I can only describe as a no entry sign of them in the Media tab.

Any ideas?

26 REPLIES 26

Ldoodle
Level 5

Thanks guys!

PS: Inventory is stuck again on 64%, on exactly the same files. What a piece of junk BE is, and they have the nerve to charge extortionate sums for some of their agents.

Shame on you Symantec.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...they're really all the same, trust me. CA is really no better at all. How about an open call for 6 months with no real interaction with CA other than: "We're trying to do this in our lab!)...

Anyways, if you have a support contract I'd suggest opening a case with Symantec. The forums as a best-effort help. A lot of the time you get your issue solved, but there are some here that need back-end support from Symantec themselves. I'll also hit the support flag on this for you and hopefully someone from Symantec picks up on this while trawling the forums!

Ldoodle
Level 5

Thanks Craig.

Is there a way to re-duplicate all existing media sets without having to select them all one by one? I might just bomb away the duplicate dedude folder and start from scratch?

CraigV

...a media server can only have 1 dedupe folder active at any given time. In order to re-dedupe your data, you'd have to trash the current 1 and rerun the backups unfortunately.

Just make sure you're complying with the Symantec best practices around dedupe too...

Ldoodle
Level 5

Yes I know that.

My problems in this thread are on a managed media server - I have 2 sites each with a BE 2010 R3 server and the 2nd site is used as on off-site backup location.

It is the 2nd site where the problem is - the primary site is absolutely fine so I was thinking of bombing away the dedupe folder in the 2nd site then re-duplicate the data from the primary site to the 2nd site, but when I choose the option to duplicate existing media sets, it only lets me pick them one by one which is stupid considering I have 3 months worth of daily backup sets (I have enough capacity for a 6 month overwrite period :))

Cheers

CraigV

...OK, so now that you've explained it properly, I've hit the support flag. I'd also suggest you head on over to the Known Issues section on the forum and see if this happening elsewhere. If not, it might be worth an addition in the Ideas section...

Ldoodle
Level 5

Thanks Craig.

Any ideas on duplicating existing media sets in one hit, rather than expanding each server, then each resource and then each day's backup set individually?