cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing name of tape when tape cartridge used by backup set.

dss_thinktank
Level 4

When I double click server name on screen "Backup and Restore" and select page "Backup Sets"
I can see resources of selected server. Clicking resource shows backup sets taken from that resource.

Column "Storage" shows destination like "Deduplication disk storage" or "Tape Cartridge" but
it does not show real name of tape cartridge or folder name of disk storage.

Column "Storage name" shows name of duplication storage or disk storage
(in my case I can locate directory using this value because I have included reference to real directory in the name of storage.
With tape cartridge it shows only name of the tape device, like "HP 0001".

If I double click some backup set and select page "Properties" I can see information about backup set,
but name of tape cartridge can not be found here either.

Only place where I can find name of the tape cartidge is from screen "Job monitor" by finding old job report ("Media label" or "All media used").
If I do not have report available anymore, I can not find the name of tape cartridge anywhere.

I think that name of tape used by backup set should be displayed also when searching backups from server point of view.

Is there something I have missed here...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if you want to see the media label for a Backup Set, you can enable the ShowHiddenMedia setting

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179265

If you then open the details of a backup set and then look at the properties section the media label should be visible.

However be aware that this also exposes information that may look confusing. For instance it also shows that disk based backup media within the BEDB are linked to one of the default media sets even though they use DLM which does not use media sets.  The reason this is done relates to background handling of things that are still handled by the BEDB content which need a reference to DLM controlled media. As such if you enable this setting please be careful how you interpret the extra information that you may then see (in various sections of the admin console)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. This is by design. When you start the restore, you will be prompted for the tape

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if you want to see the media label for a Backup Set, you can enable the ShowHiddenMedia setting

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179265

If you then open the details of a backup set and then look at the properties section the media label should be visible.

However be aware that this also exposes information that may look confusing. For instance it also shows that disk based backup media within the BEDB are linked to one of the default media sets even though they use DLM which does not use media sets.  The reason this is done relates to background handling of things that are still handled by the BEDB content which need a reference to DLM controlled media. As such if you enable this setting please be careful how you interpret the extra information that you may then see (in various sections of the admin console)

dss_thinktank
Level 4

Thank you very much. This was exactly what I was looking for.