cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More problems with removable b2d sets

underlig
Level 3

I've asked rB2D - questions before but there's just something that never seems right with how i configure these. My customers call or email me and ask why the backup-device is offline/ejected and i have no real answer.

Current question is about a single SBS server running BE 12.5 sp4, doing daily backups of 63GB to a removable b2d-folder on a HP RDX Removable Disk that is 160GB. These are swapped daily so there are 5 (6 with friday odd/even) RDX-disks.
What i want is two generations of backups on each disk, before the oldest is overwritten. So each has 2x63GB = 126GB leaving 34GB free space, the next time the drive is used those 34GB is written then the backup continues on to the oldest of the 64GB sets. (if that's at all possible)

I've configured the rb2d with:
Maximum size for backup-to-disk files: 100,00 GB
Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files: disabled
Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file: 100
Low disk space threshold: 1,00 GB
Auto detect: Enabled
Concurrent operations allowed: 1

Menu Tools/Options/Media Management settings are:
Media overwrite protection level: Partial - protect only allocated media
Prompt before overwriting imported media: false

Media overwrite options:
Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the targeted media set

Media set is:
Overwrite protection period: None - Allow overwrite
Appendable period: Infinite - Allow Append

What happens when the backup runs is that it saves ~54GB then stops, ejects the disk and waits for a new one. Customer then calls me and asks why, and if the backup from yesterday is ok (which it isn't).

Whenever i change something here, will that replicate to the current backup-sets on each removable drive when it's inserted, or do i have to clear them somehow?

I really really need help with this, as it is now i have to manually delete old generations of backups from the rdx-disks, so that defeats the whole purpose of generation backups.

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think choosing proper overwrite protection period value to the media set will resolve your issue. As per the information you have provided, each rdx drive will be used only once in a week and you want to have two backup sets on each drive at any given time. So, a little less than two weeks retension period will be sufficient.

Also change the job to start as Overwrite only. Media overwrite protction to FULL, overwrite option to Overwrite recyclable media in the media set before overwritng scratch media.

Please note that after changing these settings, existing backups may be overwritten during the first usage of the drives. 

Also have a look at this blog: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/faq-how-configure-media-setsb2d-jobs-and-backup-exec-proper-management-disk-space-while-using- 

Regards....

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The first version of Backup Exec to correctly support disconnecting USB drives from the media server is Backup Exec 2010 R2. Any version before that is likely to see USB owned B2D targets go offline and remain offline.

Also USB Disks are not suitable for Removable B2D - you should use standard B2D on these types of devices.

Removable B2D is for cartridge / carrier based devices such as RDX and Iomega Rev drives where the main chassis of the device remains connected but cartridges can be ejected. Confusingly such devcies can be connected over USB the key difference being when you unplug a typical USB hard disk the complete device is removed not just a cartridge

EDIT:

It looks like the Opriginal Poster is using an RDX device so most of my comment does not apply.

Documents of interest:

underlig
Level 3

I've changed the settings as you suggested now, i'll see tomorrow how it works. In worst case i'll have to wait a full two weeks until i am certain that it works.

Also thank you for the excellent blog-post