cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move 12.5 DLO server

Brian_Knight
Level 4
I have an aging server I need to retire that currently holds my BE server database, DLO server database and dlo data.  I tried to do a scenario in which I brought up a new server installed all be licenses.  Stopped the services on old server and copy the databases and data to the new server.  I then downed the old server and renamed the new server the old server's name.  When I brought up the new server with the old name, the BE services would not start.  It was looking for the SQL server from the temporary name I gave the new server when I installed the software.  I tried removing the server and adding the old server name, but still the database would not start.  What is the proper way to move this data from one server to another.   I've seen posts for previous versions.  Is it the same for this version?
2 REPLIES 2

Bruce_Casler
Level 3
Partner
did they ever answer you?

Brian_Knight
Level 4

did they ever answer you?

Yes, I was given an article on the proper method to move the database.  The article is this. 

http://support.veritas.com/docs/291026

I still ran into one problem when I did this.  Out of 450 computers running the agent, I had about 115 that did not transfer correctly.  That was a 25% failure rate.  The problem is one of the steps has you disable the computers before you begin to migrate.  Once you have everything migrated, the article really doesn't tell you what you need to do to reactivate the computers. I assumed you go into the new server and enable them.  It worked for the majority of those systems.  What I ran into, I really could not determine what computers transitioned fine verses which ones didn't.  They only way to know was to watch the alerts and see who wasn't backing up.  If you went into the registry of the agents that weren't working, you would see that the file server name did not transition over.  To get around this, I tried to use config manager to push the new agent (with the new server info) to the computers not working.  The agent would install, but would not change the dlo server name.  I ended up figuring out that I had to do a three step install to fix the problem. First I ran the install with the agent that had the correct server info.  I then ran an uninstall program to remove the DLO agent.  I finally re-ran the install that installed the agent properly.  One more thing, I had to force the client computers to log off and back on to get the agent to start up.  For some reason it would not start up.  I know this was wordy and had a lot of steps, but I ran into so many goofy things that took so much time to figure out.  I feel this may help others who are thinking on moving the database server.