cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Database from 32-bit to 64-bit

thelaststop720
Level 4
My current configuration is Backup Exec 12 on Server 2003 SP1 32-bit media server. Its database resides on a SQL 2005 SP2/Server 2003 SP2 32-bit server. I am wanting to move this database to a SQL 2005 SP2/Server 2008 64-bit server while keeping the media server at 32-bit. Is this possible or has anyone tried it? Two different Symantec support reps have told me different things; one said it is not possible to move it, the other says it is possible. I am also planning to upgrade to 12.5. If it is possible, would you recommend doing this before or after the upgrade? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
There would be no problems moving the database from 32 bit to 64 bit. Go ahead and use copy database feature of Backup Exec to move the database, provided both servers have same edition of Backup Exec. So, first upgrade the original server to 12.5 and then install 12.5 on new server and perform copy database operation using beutility software. It would also not be an issue, even if you do it before upgrade. Just make sure both servers have same version of Backup Exec, so that you dont get into service startup issues.
Thanks

thelaststop720
Level 4
I'm not moving the media server to another server. Here's my configuration:

MediaServer1:
Backup Exec 12
Server 2003 SP1
32-bit

SQLServer1:
Server 2003 SP2
SQL 2005 SP2
32-bit

SQLServer2:
Server 2008
SQL 2005 SP2
64-bit

I want to move the database from SQLServer1 to SQLServer2 while keeping the media server MediaServer1 at 32-bit.

curriertech
Level 3
You can just use beutility.exe to move the database to the new server in the same manner that you would move to another 32bit server. 

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
That is simple. Using beutility, run the operation: move backup exec database to new location.
Thanks

thelaststop720
Level 4
Thanks for the replies, however, I have reservations about moving it from 32-bit SQL to 64-bit SQL due to the words of a symantec support technician sometimes last year. Has anyone every moved from a 32 to 64-bit SQL? Thanks.

thelaststop720
Level 4
Woud it be possible to install a clean copy of Backup Exec, thereby creating a new database on the 64-bit SQL server, and import all the job settings (backup selections, policies, media sets, etc.)?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Yes, definitely. Go ahead install Backup Exec on new server and use beutility, as i described in one of my previous posts to copy database.

Thanks