cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Win2k w/SQL2k new hardware and new server name

datalink_Datali
Level 3
I am trying to move a win2k server with SQL 2k to new hardware.

The issue I am having is I want to rename the server. I know to do a remote restore, I need the same name as the old server. And SQL I need to install a base sql with SP before I restore the DBs. This is NOT a DC, just a member server.

Has anyone done this?
If so how, Tech articles would be great.
2 REPLIES 2

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Someone else may have a better answer, but personally I would suggest if this is just an upgrade rather than a disaster recovery situation, then probably the easiest solution would be to manually setup the new server with Windows and SQL Server, thus allowing you to get rid of much of the deadwood which invariably accumulates on any machine that's been around for a while, and then restore the SQL data and anything else you need to the server once you're ready. You can redirect the SQL restore to the new server so it doesn't matter that it has a new name, and it's probably going to be less hassle than trying to full restore of everything to a machine which has different hardware.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The only "Officially Supported" way to do this in v9 and higher is to use the AdminPlusPak.

With v7 and v8, you could just copy the entire BackupExec directory to the new server and then install the same or a later build on top of the copied code. But according to Verias there is machine specific info on the MSDE database that prevents this from working now

May be worth a try, tho.