cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move old BUE database to new server

kabeerk
Level 4
I've got backup exec 10.0 B5484 on a server of mine, 8.  I am going to be using 8 for other purposes. I'd like to be able to move my database from 8 to it's new home on 9. 9 has 10.0 B5484 on it as well. I do a SQL restore w/move on 9. after which i cannot start the backup exec server service. 
I seem to recall doing this in the past. the only difference in that case is that the old servername and new servername were the same.
can anyone offer assistance?

kabeer
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
stop the SQL service on 8 and copy the file over to 9 in a temp directory.

On 9 use the beutility.exe to copy the database. It will prompt for the mdf and ldf file and apply them and make the changes to the sql database to reflect the new server name automatically.

Make sure you goto help-about - installed updates on both server. They must have the same hotfixes and service pack levels for backup exec or the services wont start
Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi kabeerk,

You can do that by following...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319367.htm

Laters!

shirmal
Level 5
stop the SQL service on 8 and copy the file over to 9 in a temp directory.

On 9 use the beutility.exe to copy the database. It will prompt for the mdf and ldf file and apply them and make the changes to the sql database to reflect the new server name automatically.

Make sure you goto help-about - installed updates on both server. They must have the same hotfixes and service pack levels for backup exec or the services wont start
Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal