cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Backup Exec 12.5 to new server, upgrade to 2010, and new tape drv

jleby
Level 2
I need to move my Backup Exec 12.5 installation to a new server.  I'd also like to upgrade to 2010 at some point in this process.  To make things more fun, I also am moving from a single tape drive to a tape autoloader.

Would it work if I were to do it in this order?

1. Install BE 2010 on the new server
2. Migrate the 12.5 database from the old server to the new 2010 server (is there a good KB article on this?  Can't seem to dig one up specific to 12.5).

For the tape drive, I'm moving from LTO3 tapes to LTO5.  The new autoloader is backwards compatible with the old LTO3s.  Should there be any issues if I need to restore from an old LTO3 tape?
9 REPLIES 9

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

yes you can definately do this
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287063

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Migrate the 12.5 database from the old server to the new 2010 server

1) Stop all BE services and the BE SQL instance.

2) copy the Catalog and Data directories under the BE installation directory

3) Start the BE SQL instance and all the BE services

4) Upgrade the BE 12.5 to BE 2010.

5) If the upgrade is o.k., stop all BE services and the BE SQL instance on both the old and new media servers.

6) Copy the Catalog and Data directories from the old server to the new server.

7) Start the BE SQL instance and all the BE services on the new server.

For the tape drive, I'm moving from LTO3 tapes to LTO5.  The new autoloader is backwards compatible with the old LTO3s.  Should there be any issues if I need to restore from an old LTO3 tape?

If your new tape drive can read LTO3, then you should have no problems restoring from them.

jleby
Level 2
Thanks sazz and pkh.

teiva-boy
Level 6
More than likely if moving to LTO5, your backups will go slower than LTO3, or if there is any increase, it will be so miniscule, it wouldn't have justified LTO5 at all...

Thus, it's important to tune the snot out of your drives, network bandiwdth, and clients, and also look at backing up to disk first, then duplicating to tape via policy.

LTO5 is too fast in general without multiplexing, something BE has never supported.

Kevin_Bowser
Level 2
Hello!  I'd also like to upgrade from 12.5 to 2010 Backup Exec but I have a twist.  I want to upgrade the server to 2088R2 as well.  Can all the BE configuration, functionality and history be exported to another place on the network?  Then I could format the drive, install Server 2008R2 and install BE 2010 and then import everything back in to continue as normal.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Kevin

Upgrade BE12.5 to BE2010, once the upgrade is successfull make a copy the DATA & CATALOGS folder.

Upgrade the OS and then install BE 2010. Perform copy database which will help you to copy all the jobs and setting.

Refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/286093 for performing copy database.

Data & Catalogs folder are located at X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec.

Kevin_Bowser
Level 2
...I'll get it done.

tomking
Level 3

What if I want to move media server from a 32bits platfrom to a 64bits platform? I tried to copy the folders... It doesnt work.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I successfully moved BE 2010 on a Windows Server 2003 x32 server --> BE 2010 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 server.
Installed BE on the new server, and then ran the Database move utility in BEutility.exe.
I also changed the catalog location...worked like a charm. It is possible...