cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS drives as backup target.

Cory_Oliver
Level 2
When I back up to a NAS device we bought when our tape drive failed (3rd time in a year, and NOT worth spending the ~$600 to repair/replace it). I get a error on Verifying the data (the backup itself seems to work).

Reading the technical documents it seems I bought the NAS drives before realizing that they are incompatible with Backup Exec. (documents 247059, and 276811).

(Netgear SC101's, they show up as a drive letter on the media server, but not FAT, FAT32, or NTFS format).

What I'm looking at doing. .

1> Adding either an inexpensive PC or a Windows based NAS device to be the destination for a Backup to Disk folder.

2> Running a script post job that copies the backup folder to the NAS device.

3> The NAS devices (3 of them) are what are cycled in and out. (keeping one off site at all times).

I'm hoping this will work and get around Backup Exec's pickyness as to the backup to disk destination.

My biggest question/concern. Will storing the backup to disk files on a non FAT, FAT32, or NTFS volume actually damage them, or just when Backup Exec is actively trying to use them?
2 REPLIES 2

Cory_Oliver
Level 2
Bump

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please create the Backup-to-Disk folder using an UNC path. You may refer to following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/243971.htm

You can create a backup-to-disk folder in any location where you can write a file, such as:
- NTFS partitions (local or remote)
- Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices
- DFS shares
- FAT/FAT32 partitions (local or remote)
- VERITAS Volume Manager partitions
- RAID drives with any configuration
- Mapped drives
- NFS volumes

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.