cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Upgrade?

Cloud9up
Not applicable

We purchased a couple NAS devices, i.e. Simpleshare 250gb storage server and Terastation Pro. We currently run Veritas Backup Exec 8.6, Rev. 3878, SBS on a MS Windows SBS 2000 server.

The data was moved to these devices because they were approaching capacity on the server's hard drives.

The data needs to be backed up to our tape drive on the SBS server.

We have created user-defined-selections for each of the folders on the NAS but the backup job fails with the following messages(one for each folder):
License Violation
This edition of Backup Exec does not include support for servers.
Please contact your vendor for information on upgrading this edition of Backup Exec.
Unable to attach to \\TS-HTGL73C\SHARE.
Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\TS-HTGL73C\SHARE.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

No data is backed up!

Can anyone advise on what is required to backup the data on the NAS devices to a tape on the SBS server using Backup Exec 8.6, Rev 3878, SBS, please? I've visited different forums and come across similar situations. The solution seems to be that Backup Exec needs to be upgraded to a newer version, i.e. 9 or 9.1. Which version would be sufficient to back up the NAS drives, and does the upgrade need to be downloaded, purchased, etc.? Thank you for your time.

Many thanks,
Ted

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yeah, the v8.x version of BackupExec SBS did not support remote servers, only remote desktops

v9.0 SBS did support remote servers (IIRC, but it might have been v10.0) but Veritas/Symantec no longer sell v9.x or v10x.  Unless you can find a copy on one of the Auction sites, you are stuck with upgrading to v11d (the current version).

You cannot upgrade directly tho, but have to upgrade to v9.x or v10x (can be in demo (non-serial) mode, then to v11d

Or you can uninstall v8.6 and then install v11d

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 10-09-2007 11:32 AM

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 10-09-2007 11:34 AM