cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with 2012 backup to autoloader

Matt_Needel
Level 2

Previously on BUE 12.5 and just upgraded to 2012. Lost all my backup jobs and catalogs but I am working with support to get them migrated. Upon setting up some test jobs I think I see why my backup jobs would not migrate. 2012 may not be capable of doing jobs they way I was doing them in 12.5 so I need some advice on how to backup two servers with an 8 tape auto loader.

In 12.5 I had the auto loader partitioned.

Partition 1 = Slot 1, Partition 2 = Slot 2, Partition 3 = Slot 3, Partition 4 = Slot 4, Partition 5 = Slot 5-8

Weekly/ monthly full backup with single job backed up both servers to Partition 5.

Monday  incremental job backed up both servers to Partition 1

Tuesday  incremental job backed up both servers to Partition 2

Wednesday  incremental job backed up both servers to Partition 3

Thursday  incremental job backed up both servers to Partition 4

The Full backup needs 4 LTO3 tapes to complete.

Any suggestions on how to configure 2012 for this scenario? 

Thanks for the help.

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2012 is server-centric, so you would need at least 1 job per server.  You cannot backup 2 servers in 1 job using BE 2012.  You would need to set the first job to overwrite your tape and the second job to append to it.

Your partitions can remain the same.  You can define your jobs like you hae outlined above and target your partitions as you have done previously.

Alternatively, do away with your partitions and use media sets to control the OPP and AP of your tapes.

Matt_Needel
Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply. So it sounds like I should do away with the partitions and treat the auto loader like one big tape drive. Setting up Overwrite protection and append settings to span all tapes for the week.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You might want to set up 2 different media sets, one for your full and another for your incremental.  Normally, you would want to keep your full for a longer period and your incrementals only until the next full backup.