cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to access old 12.5 db/catalogs on new server.

Swunder
Level 2

I have a backup exec 12.5 server that won't boot.  Well, its a physical win 2k3 server converted to a VHD that won't boot when mounted.  The physical server is long gone, I haven't touched this software in years. 

SO I can browse the file structure but just can't boot the machine.  Is there anyway to 'mount' or 'connect' to the Backup Exec 12.5 information on there?  I have a new server with Backup Exec 2010 installed or I can build a new machine and put 12.5 on there but this article: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

suggests a number of things I cannot know without being able to boot the original server.  I have no idea what updates were installed or what the B2D folders were...

Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is more a problem for Appasure rather than BE.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What exactly are you trying to do with this server?

Swunder
Level 2

Well from what I remember...

We had 12.5 and upgraded to 2010, but another department kept using the 12.5 box for an old Unix server backup.

They finally got rid of it so we took a final backup of the whole server with another backup product (dell appassure) and are using the physical server for something else right now.

Now a few months later they want to make sure the backup works, so I try to export the backup to virtual (via appassure) and it fails to boot.  I can browse the hard drive via mounting the vhd though.

So basically I have the entire structure of windows and the backup exec install/data/logs but can't boot into the machine.  How can I move the backup exec data from the dead VHD into a working machine with backup exec 12.5 installed?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is more a problem for Appasure rather than BE.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You would need to copy the Backup Exec 'Data' and 'Catalogs' folders from that vhd file. Then perform the step in the below technote from "Prepare the current Backup Exec installation:" section.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

Note - Ensure that the version of Backup Exec (Service Packs and updates) has to be same on the new server where you want to move the data to.