cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netware remote agent not responding

Flemming_Soejbe
Level 2
Hi!

I have a Win2003 Media server and a Novell Netware 5.1 client server, with the remote agent installed and started succesfully.

In my selection list, I can browse the server and select instances for backup. No problem.

But when I start the backup job, it fails instantly with the following error:

e0009443 - Error connecting to the Backup Exec Remote Agent for NetWare Servers. Make sure that the Remote Agent NetWare is running on the target computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

If you are at BEWS 10.0. build 5484 we would recommend you to upgrade to BEWS 10.0 build 5520 and then install hotfix 15 and pushinstall remote agent for netware server once again.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 rev. 5520 for Windows Servers Installation Files

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181

Release Notes for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers revision 5520

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276379

10.0 5520 Hotfix 15 - Backup Exec for Windows Servers - Remote Agent Authentication Vulnerability
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278465.htm

Please check whether you can ping bothe servers by name and IP.

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Flemming_Soejbe
Level 2
Hi Gauri Ketkar!

- And thanks for your reply!

I tried upgrading to biuld 5520 and installing all available hotfixes - but no luck.

Still recieve the following:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009443 - Error connecting to the Backup Exec Remote Agent for NetWare Servers. Make sure that the Remote Agent NetWare is running on the target computer.

Remote Agent not detected on servername.NetWare File System.

I have the servername listet in my hosts file, so I can ping both the name and IP. I am also still able to browse the server in my selection list.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Flemming_Soejbe
Level 2
Update:

I tried starting the Remote Agent on the Netware server with the -ZL switch to see some debug. Heres what I got:

ndmpClose
FreeFormatEnv( cur_fmt=0 )
ndmpDestroyConnection
ndmp_process_messages: received request: 0x901
ndmpdConnectClientAuth: auth_type:Invalid.
ndmpRun: (accept)
ndmpLogSocketInfo: Socket Info: Socket: 20
Local - address: 192.168.17.2- port: 10000- family: 2
Peer - address: 192.168.17.10- port: 1225- family: 2
ndmpCreateConnection
ndmpdConnectionHandler: received connection(0x14).
ndmp_process_messages: received request: 0x900
ndmpdConnectOpen: protocol_version:3.
ndmp_process_messages: received request: 0x902
ndmpdConnectClose: called.
ndmpClose
FreeFormatEnv( cur_fmt=0 )
ndmpDestroyConnection
ndmp_process_messages: received request: 0x901
ndmpdConnectClientAuth: auth_type:Invalid.

This is only some the log - let me know if you want it all.

Cheers

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

After upgrading to BE v10.0 5520 have you upgarded the remote agent also?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Troy_Frette_2
Level 3
I was having the exact same issue with my NetWare backups after updating my BE server. I found the following posting in the forum which at the end suggested using the 9.1 NetWare agents instead.

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=53080

I ran BESTOP on the netware server, renamed the SYS:BKUPEXEC folder, installed the 9.1 agents and ran BESTART. At this point, my backups seem to be working just fine. I've done partial restores of files from tape and thing seem to be OK. For what it is worth, my NW servers are NetWare 6.0, and I'm running W2K3 on my Media Server.

I posted my own question to the board a few days ago to ask for confirmation that this was an approved solution, but haven't seen any response to that yet. Good luck.

Andreas_Moeller
Level 2
HI! I have nearly the same problem but worth!

I even can't browse in the selection list.
If I try to select the Netware Server the get the same error.

Error connecting to the Backup Exec Remote Agent for NetWare Servers. Make sure that the Remote Agent NetWare is running on the target computer.

I installed the Hotfix 24 but no result.

I hope this threat will come to a solution

criley
Employee Accredited
Hi Andreas,

Two questions for you:

1. Has this ever worked?
2. What version of the remote agent for NetWare do you have? Check in sys:\bkupexec\version.doc for details.

Andreas_Moeller
Level 2
It doesn't work from the beginning.

Here my version of remote agent

-----------------------------------------------------

Backup Exec for NetWare 9.1 Build 1158.9

Media Server = 1158.9
Ndmp Server = 1158.9
Nlm Client = 1158.9
Java Client = 1158.9
Drivers = 0011N023

Windows 9X agent = 5.030
MAC OS X agent = 5.045
UNIX agent = 5.046

OFO NW option = 9.5.501
RAWS/OFO NT option = 4691R.42
-----------------------------------------------------
It's the newest, I think!

Till now we had a Netware Media Server running BackupExec 9. We want to backup to a second server in another buildung.
I deinstalled the Media Server from the Novell machine.
Installed the BackupExec 10d at a Windows 2003 Server and try to establish a connection to the Remote Agent on a Novell 5.1 Server, but it doesn't work.

criley
Employee Accredited
Is name resolution working in BOTH directions? Even if it is, add an entry for the NetWare server in the hosts file on your windows media server and also add an entry for the windows server into your hosts file on NetWare (sys:\etc\hosts). Then try again...