cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New backup strategy

Aaron_Marquet
Level 3
I'm setting up a new backup strategy. We have an autoloader that houses 20 tapes. Part of the strategy is:
Weekly full backup - every Friday
Monthly full backup - 1st Friday of every month
The monthly backups will rotate yearly - so basically there will be a total of 50 - 60 tapes
My question, is there a way to allocate tapes/barcodes to those dates or drive slots?
4 REPLIES 4

Michel_Bugeja
Level 2
I think the only way to control this is to have a seperate Media Set for each Tape, and create a Backup Template for each Month.

Michel_Bugeja
Level 2
I might have misunderstood your query...With Media Sets you can define What media you will use for particular Jobs, however you cannot specify which particular Tape to use.

If you intend to divide the Jobs as in Weekly and Months, you will create a Media Set for the Weekly and anotherone for the Monthly. You might want to initialise the tapes or let Backup Exec pickup Scratch Media and automatically loads it as a Weekly or Monthly Media.

Use Media Protection to protect recent backups for 1 week or 1 year as required.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

You can create partitions. Please refer to the following technote mentioned below:

How to partition and manage an autoloader (robotic library) using Backup Exec 8.x, 9.x, and 10.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/206843

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Aaron_Marquet
Level 3
Thanks for your help guys, you've helped make things clearer for me