cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install of Backup Exec CASO

whurd
Level 2

My company currently has around 90 seperate sites with their own 2010 BEX servers (sever 2008) runnning localy backing up data to disk. Recently it was decided to purchase BEX 21012 with the CASO option in order to better monitor and report issues with all these seperate sites.

A virtual 2008 server (4 GB RAM) was just created to install the 2012 software.

My question is what do i need to install as far as a SQL server inorder for this to work well?

I understand that the install comes with SQL 2005 express, but was wondering if that would be ok. Keep in mind that this will just be for monitoring and reporting. It looks as though the catalogs would still be locally contained at each site.

Thanks for any insight.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The default SQL 2005 Express will be fine. Using a VM for the CAS should be o.k. but you should use physical servers for your MMS

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I used a VM as a CASO for over 2 years with BE 2010. Never had an issue, and this was looking after 26 sites spread out across Africa and Asia, with each site running 2 jobs per day for 6 days of the week.

Never ran out of capacity (all catalogs localised on each MMS), and never hit the limit of SQL Express 2005. The VM had 4GB RAM, and 2 x vCPU...never had a performance issue either.

I guess if it came to that you could look at moving the CASO onto a newer, supported version of SQL Express.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The default SQL 2005 Express will be fine. Using a VM for the CAS should be o.k. but you should use physical servers for your MMS

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I used a VM as a CASO for over 2 years with BE 2010. Never had an issue, and this was looking after 26 sites spread out across Africa and Asia, with each site running 2 jobs per day for 6 days of the week.

Never ran out of capacity (all catalogs localised on each MMS), and never hit the limit of SQL Express 2005. The VM had 4GB RAM, and 2 x vCPU...never had a performance issue either.

I guess if it came to that you could look at moving the CASO onto a newer, supported version of SQL Express.

Thanks!