cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Backup Exec - Dropped in my lap

dotitadmin
Level 3

Hello,

I'm the new guy on the block at my company.  My position is IT Director.  There wasn't an IT department before me, but rather group of consultants that came in once or twice a month and resolved issues, etc..  There was ZERO documentation.  No security. (both network and physical)  Literally a spiderweb of wires all in a ball back behind the server rack.  It's sad.

So here's what I'm now the proud owner of:

• 1 Windows Server 2003 - application server
  • 1 Windows Server 2003 - SQL server
  • 1 Windows Server 2003 - AD
  • Our Exchange is hosted

I have 1 licensed copy of Backup Exec 2012 running on my app server.  (coming up for renewal in 2 weeks in fact)  There is Apps & Databases software which means I don't even know if our SQL databases are being properly backed up, if at all.

Here's my questions:

1. What do I need to properly license my setup and backup my servers the way they should be?

2. I'm considering upgrading to 2014 instead of renewing 2012?  What will I gain in doing that?

Thanks everybody for your help!

Jamie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To know what licences you actually have, in the absence of the paper licence that you get from Symantec, it is best to contact the Symantec Licencing department.  Call the support hotline for your country and select option 2.

Since you are running BE from your application server, there is no need for a AWS licence.  BE already comes with an AWS licence to backup the media server.

For AD, you need at least an AWS licence, but if you want to restore individual AD objects then you would need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence.  See my article below on your options.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

For your Exchange, are you backing it up using the built-in backup facility of the hosting service?  If so, then you don't need any BE licences.  However, if you are backing it up with BE, then you would need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence.

When you renew your maintenance licence for BE 2012, then you are entitled to a free upgrade to BE 2014 which you can use anytime during the validity period of the maintenance licence.  The upgrade is to get the licence keys to BE 2014.  You can do the actual upgrade at any time after that.  You should upgrade to BE 2014 because of the enhancements, fixes and support for the latest software.  I would suggest that you do the following

1) renew your maintenance licence

2) get your licence keys for BE 2014.  Contact the Symantec Licencing department to do so.

3) understand what has been setup for BE 2012 and make sure that everything is running smoothly.

4) upgrade to BE 2014.  If your setup is not giving you problems, you can do the upgrade anytime since you already have the BE 2014 licence keys.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jamie,

You should have the license document for BE...if not, your licenses would be as follows:

1 x Media Server

1 x Agent for Applications and Databases

2 x Agent for Windows Servers (for AD/App server)

Nothing is required for Exchange. However, if you contact the licensing department for Symantec, they can tell you what you are licensed for, and help you get access to the Symantec Partner Portal where you can get the *.slf file for BE 2014.

They can also assist with the renewal.

There are major differences between BE 2012 and BE 2014. Upgrade to BE 2014 if you can. Read below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5216

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To know what licences you actually have, in the absence of the paper licence that you get from Symantec, it is best to contact the Symantec Licencing department.  Call the support hotline for your country and select option 2.

Since you are running BE from your application server, there is no need for a AWS licence.  BE already comes with an AWS licence to backup the media server.

For AD, you need at least an AWS licence, but if you want to restore individual AD objects then you would need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence.  See my article below on your options.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

For your Exchange, are you backing it up using the built-in backup facility of the hosting service?  If so, then you don't need any BE licences.  However, if you are backing it up with BE, then you would need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence.

When you renew your maintenance licence for BE 2012, then you are entitled to a free upgrade to BE 2014 which you can use anytime during the validity period of the maintenance licence.  The upgrade is to get the licence keys to BE 2014.  You can do the actual upgrade at any time after that.  You should upgrade to BE 2014 because of the enhancements, fixes and support for the latest software.  I would suggest that you do the following

1) renew your maintenance licence

2) get your licence keys for BE 2014.  Contact the Symantec Licencing department to do so.

3) understand what has been setup for BE 2012 and make sure that everything is running smoothly.

4) upgrade to BE 2014.  If your setup is not giving you problems, you can do the upgrade anytime since you already have the BE 2014 licence keys.