cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Backup Exec - Need guidance

BOUTYM
Level 2
Just bought a Exabyte VXA 2 drive and have always used NovaStor products, which required nothing more than disabling the tape device in Dev Manager to work.  I've been reading through things, but am not quite sure what to do with this new drive before using Backup Exec.

I think I have to download and install the latest drivers by way of be7170RHF 16_32bit-290606.exe, but not entirely sure.  From what I can tell, the Backup Exec installer includes the version just before this.

Would I be correct in what I am doing here?  I read some stern warnings about installing the Exabyte drivers for anything except the Windows backup utility.
5 REPLIES 5

ITRunner
Level 3
In my opinion you should always use the Veritas (Now Symantec) drivers for the product.  I used to use the VXA 2 drives, didn't like them particularly - they're too slow from my experience.

BOUTYM
Level 2
Ok, got the tape drive drivers installed, but when I try to add the device it says there are no devices available.

BOUTYM
Level 2
Disregard... a reboot took care of the device issue.

Now, here's what I want to do and not sure how to set this up...

I want to setup a backup that does full backups M-F for two weeks.  Should I create a backup set for each week (set 1 and set 2) or just do a single set and rotate them every two weeks?

Also, how should I set the overwrite settings?  Allow overwrite after 5 days or what?

BOUTYM
Level 2
Also having a problem with a test backup.  I used the wizard and set up a test backup to run now.  In the job status it says there are no media servers available even though I chose the Exabyte when defining the job.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'd use a single job, and give the media set an Overwrite Protection of 13 days.