cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Here

Keith_Wahl
Level 3
I am new to the world of Backup Exec and tape drives. My company just purchased both and put me in charge!! I installed the product with default settings, went through the wizards, and have been unable to get anything to work. The only job that completes successfully for me is an Inventory job. Does anyone have the time to walk through my setups or can you point me in the direction of any guides that can help me out? I am usually pretty good at figuring out a piece of software but this one has me baffled and I know it's not hard. I used the Admin Guide every step of the way but must be totally missing something!!

Plesae help!!
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What errors do you get when you try to run a backup job

Anything on the Alerts Tab

Any EventLog entries that might apply?

Keith_Wahl
Level 3
Thanks for the response, Ken.

A backup job always gets caught up on Job Status: Loading Media. The error from the alerts tab reads, "The media in drive 'Quantam 1' is written in an unrecognized format. Erase the media to make it usable."

I don't always have the option to erase the media from the Devices tab. Sometimes it is greyed out, sometimes it is not.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

Were these tapes previously used with another backup system/product?

Are you able to re-label these tapes, or does that fail also?

You used to be able to to an "NTBackup /nopoll" to comletely ignore whatever format was on the tape and relabel, but that option disappeared when W2K come out

You may be forced to buy a batch of new tapes if all else fails.

Keith_Wahl
Level 3
These are supposed to be brand new tapes. I feel that I am doing something incorrectly or didn't set something up correctly because I can't even erase the media. When I try to run an erase media job, I receive the error: Incorrect function. I also get that error when I try to relabel the media.

Keith_Wahl
Level 3
I mentioned earlier that sometimes the options to erase or label the media are greyed out. I have noticed that after running an inventory job, the options are available to me. If I try to run the Erase media job, I get an error saying: Incorrect function.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you current on firmware for both the controller and tape drive?

Latest Driver for the controller?

Are you using the most recent Veritas Driver Pack?

have you tried using a manufacturer driver rather than the Veritas one?

Keith_Wahl
Level 3
I wasn't sure if we had a support plan with Symantec when this problem began so when I sent the request to them, I also posted here to try and figure this problem out. Anyway, I have been working this morning with tech support and we have been going through a number of options, including updating the tape drive drivers to Symantec. We have also tried recovering the database and running the repair function through the install program. None of these things are working for us. We continue to receive the following error through the System Manager / Application event viewer:

Adamm Mover Error: Read Failure!
Error = ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION
Drive = "QUANTUM 1"
{3BC32DEF-3BFC-4D42-9071-92DBAFE3AD36}
Media = ""
{00000006-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

As it is right now, I am waiting to hear back from the tech and I believe our next step is to try uninstaling and reinstalling the app. Does the above event mean anything to you?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
"invalid function" sounds like a driver problem to me

I also notice that Single Bliock Write is enabled. This will absolutely KILL throughput

From the Devices Tab, right click the drive\properties, disable that option

(probably won't affect the invalid function problem(