cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Support for Remote Console on Windows 8

gzygadlo
Level 0

We just moved our Backup Exec enviornment to 2012 and when I tried to install the remote console on Windows 8 machine using Backup Exec 2012 media I get the error that I can't install the remote console on a Windows 8/2012 machine.  This is pretty sad that they don't have support for this when Server 2012 R2/Windows 8.1 is only 8 weeks away and seeing they just released SP2 for Backup Exec I want to know why there is no support for this.

If Microsoft DPM supported Linux file backups and not just VM backup of linux I would throw Backup Exec out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sgeus
Level 3

This 'next release', is that Backup Exec 2012 R2 or should we expect a new version number?

Is there a rough estimation when the Remote Console on Windows 8 is supported? Windows 8 has been released over a year ago!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately, the installation of Remote Console on Windows 8 machine or Media Server on Server 2012 will be supported in the next release of Backup Exec.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that's correct. No mention of when Windows 8 will be supported for installation with the Remote Console.

Put it in as an idea in order for awareness around this to be raised:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

Thanks!

sgeus
Level 3

This 'next release', is that Backup Exec 2012 R2 or should we expect a new version number?

Is there a rough estimation when the Remote Console on Windows 8 is supported? Windows 8 has been released over a year ago!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, if you go according to Jaydeep's statement above, and the blog details below, it should be early next year when the next BE 2012 Beta runs...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-2012-update-vsphere-55-support-and-r2-beta...

Thanks!