cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No appendable media could be mounted

InSixDays
Level 4

I keep getting this message (No appendable media could be mounted) when backing up to disk.  In BE 2010 you could set the overwrite setting but I don't know how to do this in 2012.  How do you change the disk setting to overwrite. 

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you targeting Disk Storage or Disk Cartridge Device?

InSixDays
Level 4

Disk storage.  Before the upgrade it was a backup to folder. Now it shows as a disk storage.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

In BE 2012 there is no Overwrite or append for disk anymore as it has new DLM so for example you do backup to disk & want to keep your data protected for 1 week so after 1 week it will delete those bkf file keeping 1 backup set

So in your case were storage disk is created on a local disk or on a NAS

Thanks

InSixDays
Level 4

So why do I get the error No appendable media could be mounted?

What do I need to do? I even created a new backup to disk area on our equallogic array and still get the No appendable media could be mounted error.  I can backup to tape just fine.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

I have seen this error before , have you tried making storage disk on local drive on C drive or D drive for testing purpose & have checked if you can backup a small file or folder

Thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

So is this the upgrade from previous version or is this new install of backupexec 2012

Thanks

InSixDays
Level 4

It is an upgrade from 2010 R3 to 2012.

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Your issue matches to one of my enviorment were after upgrade no backup are working on disk but are working on tape but in my case I loaded blank database by taking backup of my current data folder & then made new storage disk & was working fine so you can try that too & check if that helps

Thanks

InSixDays
Level 4

What do you mean by loading a blank database?  The existing disk storage is about 60TB.

Thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Loading blak DB means all your jobs which you see configured will go so which means you are starting from scratch

So if you want to isolate the issue take the backup of data folder by stopping SQL service & then rename  the existing data as old & make new folder called Data & in that new folder copy bedb_dat.mdf & bedb_log.ldf from data_old you have made to new Data folder then start sql service & other backupexec services

Then click on backupexec icon on left hand side &  then click on managed account & make new system account & then make new disk sotrage on C or D drive again and try doing backup of small file & check if works

About you current storage which is of 60 tb it would not be hampered as the data will be still there on your physical location

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is you job targeted to the Disk Storage pool or a particular disk storage?  If it is the former, target your job to a specific disk storage.

Also, check that there are sufficient disk space on the drive with the disk storage.

InSixDays
Level 4

Yes, it is targeted to a specific disk storage and there are 5TB free.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try disabling and enabling the disk storage.

InSixDays
Level 4

I opened a case with Symantec.