cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No capacity Appeared on my Library Partition (DELL 124T) using Backup Exec 15

WDV
Level 3

I have a problem with backup exec 15, The tape library is Dell Autoalder 124T and the Tape drive is IBM ULTRIUM HH-4.

Robotic library and Tape Drive is both Online State but the robotic library parition (0001-0008, 0009-0016) did not display any capacity size. and the media label under all slot is <unknown media>. can anyone help me regarding my concern? i did the installing of symantec drivers and i already installing the patches SP3.

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you do an inventory of the entire library? If you are not using barcode labels, did you right-click on each slot and label the tapes? This should be done before the inventory

WDV
Level 3

Yes, i did inventory to my robotic library. bu it return me an error File Error: 0xE000E005 - the job has reported multiple errors. Final Error category : Backup Device Errors.

i am trying to input a label name to one of the slot but it returns me an error "Library error  - barcode rules have detected incompatbile storage media in the robotic library" 

Final Error category : Backup Media Error.

WDV
Level 3

Also when i disable Barcode rules on my Tape library and do an inventory, it returns me an error "The robotic library has reported a destination element full error condition. this is typically caused by trying to mount media into a drive that already contains media." 

Can you help me regarding my concern sir pkh.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) How many tape drives do you have?  If you have only one, disable barcode rules.

2) Are you using barcode rules?

3) The error messages indicates hardware errors.  To confirm, run the manufacturer's diagnostics utility against the tape library and tape drive.  Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you run the diagnostics on the tape library and tape drive?  What is the result?

WDV
Level 3

Not yet sir. i downloaded xtalk but my xtalk does not support IBM tape drive so i download ITDT utility software and i will inform you the result.

WDV
Level 3
I already run IBM Tape Diagnostic tools and doing the start process and IBM Diagnostic tools detect the ULTRIUM-HH4. i already started the test and the result is INIT DRIVE(PASSED), UNMOUNT TAPE(PASSES), GET FCS(PASSED), GET LOGS(PASSED) but the MOUNT TAPE is always asking to insert the tape into the drive even thou the tape is already at the drive. also i notice that the left library magazine at the left hole where the tape is inserted is empty while at the right hole positive(tape is visible)

WDV
Level 3
I have only one tapes drive which is the IBM Ultrium HH-4 and created a two partition. each partition has 8 tapes.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Have you manually mounted the tape into the drive itself, or left the library to do it automatically? If you mounted it manually, then dismount the tape and run the test again.

Is your cabling between the library and the server correct, and have you made sure there is no damage?

Otherwise your best bet is to log a call with Dell and ask them to look at the hardware for any faults. The library should also have a web frontend you can log onto and check the logs for any issues.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Unless there is an active operation, there should be no tape in the tape drive. It would appear that you have a tape stuck in the tape drive. Try using the Web interface to the tape library to unload the tape. Otherwise, contract the vendor to ask them to help you unload the tape and check that the tape library and tape drive are functioning correctly