cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No patch installation possible

Laurent_Binard
Level 3
We got a BE v10.5520 running on a full AD 2003 domain.

The BE server is running Windows Server 2003 SP1 and its name is MACOMBER.

I choose to install BE with an access to one of my SQL Servers running in my network. Its name is BLAKE and it runs on W2K3 SP1 and SQL 2000 SP4.

The SQL files on the BLAKE server are not located on the same physical partition: log files (LDF files) are in D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data and the data files (MDF files) are in E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data.

When I try to install a patch over my BE I always got the message "rolling back installation" and the patch cannot be installed.

I tried with Patches numbered from 1 to 15 and even the SP1 for BE. But none is working.

Does someone would have the same problem or have some information about this problem (note that I already asked the Veritas support about that, and got no solution)?

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Amit_Gupta_2
Level 4
Go to Tools>Serial Numbers and installation
Chooes additional options.
Just dry run the wizard without making anychanges.
after completing the wizard try applying SP1.

Laurent_Binard
Level 3
Hello,

I tried the operation you gave me.

The wizard says: "The Install Wizard has successfully installed Veritas BE... etc"

When I try then to install a patch or the SP1, I got the same behaviour (rolling back action).

Here is an excerpt of the bkupinst.log file:

09-20-2005,09:26:04 : Attaching BEDB to SQL Server.
09-20-2005,09:26:04 : EXEC sp_attach_db 'BEDB',@filename1 = N'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\BEDB_Dat.mdf', @filename2 = N'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf'
09-20-2005,09:26:04 : ERROR: Device activation error. The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf' may be incorrect.

sql:EXEC sp_attach_db 'BEDB',@filename1 = N'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\BEDB_Dat.mdf', @filename2 = N'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf'

09-20-2005,09:26:09 : Rolling back stop of BE services.

As I said, the LDF file is located on a D:\ partition, and the MDF file on a E:\ partition setting that BE does not seem to recognize...

Any other ideas?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

One possible resolution of this error is:

1. Verify permissions to the directory specified in the error message and confirm if the BEDB_log.ldf is present
2. If the file is not present then extract the BEDB_log.ldf from the data.cab file located in the installation media ( \winnt\install\BE\data.cab ) to C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data
3. Reboot the server as per previous failed installation which requires a reboot
4. Restart installation process

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Laurent_Binard
Level 3
1. I confirm that the LDF and MDF files are present... (If they were not, I would not have my SQL connection and the Device & Media Service would refuse to start).
2. Not applicable
3. Everytime a installations fails (or not) I reboot the server and it changes nothing.
4. Already tried, changed nothing, it refuses to reinstall BE over the existing one (rolling back action) => again because it does not match the location of my MDF and LDF files
(I can send you the log files I already sent to the french support if you want).

Please also note that I got a call 290-063-514 regarding this problem but it was closed without a valable solution.

Yours... any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Michael_Vronsky
Level 2
Hello. I have the same problem with Laurent Binard.
When I read this article: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/276637.htm, I'm change location of database to the same server as BackupExec, but problem persist.
I have W2K3 SP1, BE v10.5520 and SQL 2000 SP4, too.
Go to Tools>Serial Numbers and Installation and repair installation of Backup Exec (http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=53209&tstart=195) was not help me.
When my base was locate on other server i have the same error in bkupinst.log "ERROR: Device activation error. The physical file name". Now in bkupinst.log I have "ERROR: The LSN (765:49:1) passed to log scan in database 'BEDB' is invalid." But I am sure that base is OK.

Wait for any idea.

Michael_Vronsky
Level 2
I am solve this problem. SP1 possible install on BE v10.0.5520 only if bedb_log.ldf placed in "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data".
Best regards.

Laurent_Binard
Level 3
By default BE takes a copy of the LDF and MDF files in the directory "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data".
Here, it's the case and patch installation is not working.

Anybody at Veritas (sorry, Symantec ;-)) would have a idea to help?

Yours.

Michael_Vronsky
Level 2
In your post above you wrote that your BEDB placed in E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\.
To install SP1 you must move your DB (LDF and MDF) in C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\.

Laurent_Binard
Level 3
Hello Michael,

My BE server is installed on a server called MACOMBER, the system files are in the C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT directory.

On another server (BLAKE), the BEDB database is installed with seperated locations for the MDF and LDF files as I mentioned before.

By default, BE takes a copy of these files in the MACOMBER\C$\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data directory, these files are present...

BE mismatch itself because it does not regonize my paths, obviously it is a bug but I got no more information about that (maybe I am the only one to put my SQL files on a different server than the BE one and in differents partitions...)

Anyway thanks for your answer. I you got another idea, I TAKE (this issue is longing since march of this year and I was 3 months without backups...).

Yours.

ANYBODY GOT AN IDEA?