cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No space on drives

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

I recently upgraded from R3 to 2012 sp1.  I am backing a single server that runs sql server.  For about a year I have been using 8 USB connected 1TB drives to do backups.  I run two jobs daily.  One for backing up all the data and another to back up the logs.  About 7 daily backups  fit on one drive and I rotate the drives.  I have a storage poll which says keep for 5 weeks.  Everything was running fine until I did the upgrade.  Now I am getting messages that say I have low storage available and the job doesn't run unless I manually delete some of the old files to make space.  Before the upgrade, they were just writing over the old data that was not within that 5 week window.  I do not have a media set.  Do I need one?

15 REPLIES 15

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You'd always have a media set...you can't just write to storage without 1. It would either be the default media sets that BE has, or customised media sets you would have created when creating the backup.

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

That seems strange. I've been writing to a storage pool for over a year and didn't have this problem.  I tried to associate the drives or the storage pool to a media set, but they don't show up under all media.  They are all just listed in the root of the storage page.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

SP1 or SP1a?

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

version 14.0 revision 1798.  The file I downloaded said it was sp1 and I ran live update

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

Just a note.  All my devices show up in all storage and they all show up in the storage pool, but none of them show up in the all media section so I can't make them part of a media set.  If I need a media set, how do I associate the device with the media set?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I am not mistaken, you have disk storage on your USB disks.  Disk storage is managed by DLM and the backup sets are handled differently.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm

Also, for disk storage, media sets do not apply.  DLM rules.

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

OK,  I Read the article about DLM, but why would it telling me there is no storage available.  The retention period on the job is 5 weeks and there are about 10 weeks of backups on each drive.  I would think it would just start overwriting the jobs over 5 weeks old if the media set retention period I originally setup in 2010 isn't needed any more should the "Keep for" time be the determining factor.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The DLM grooming process is done in a fixed interval. You might want to leave your disk plugged in for, say 6 hours, and see whether any backup sets are deleted.

Otherwise, you can go to the storage tab.  Click on the storage on the disks and manually delete the unwanted backup sets.  When you do so, BE 2012 will also delete the backup sets from the disk.

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

One of the drives has been connected and online in BUE for over 24 hours.  Nothing has been deleted and I still get no online or near-line storage available when I try the job.  I will try rmoving them manually as you suggested.  I have a secondary quest that I don't know if it would have any impact on my problem.  All my bkf files on the drives are in the root directory.  This must have been OK with 2010.  I believe 2012 needs a bedata directory.  There are none.  I think I read that be2012 makes all files from previous version read-only.  Whould any of this have any impact.  Can I manually make BEdata directories.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Q All my bkf files on the drives are in the root directory. This must have been OK with 2010. I believe 2012 needs a bedata directory. There are none. I think I read that be2012 makes all files from previous version read-only. Whould any of this have any impact. Can I manually make BEdata directories. Ans: Yes you are right, all of the bkf files should be under be data directory in BE2012, Now to answer 2nd question BE 2012 will only make read only if one a single volume you have multiple backup to disk in earlier version and ad per BE2012 you only can have one disk storgare per volume, so in that case other b2d will be read only with pencil icon on it keeping one disk storage. Finally please don't make be data directory by your own and let disk storage make it, once you manually move all bkf files ,you can format it once and create a disk storage and then you can move all bkf files under bedata directory. http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74448 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178524 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188517 Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't know how you managed to define a B2D folder using the root directory.  This is impossible with BE 2010.

Anyway, this is not important now.

Do you need any of the backup sets on this disk?  If you do, go to the Storage tab, click on them and duplicate them to some other disk.  Once you have duplicated all the backup sets that you want to keep, delete the storage on this disk from BE and format the disk.  This will give you a clean slate to start.  You can then define a proper storage on the disk and then duplicate the backup sets that you have previously stored away back to this disk.  Do not copy .bkf files.  You should always duplicate backup sets.  See this document

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

If you don't need to keep any of the backup sets on the disk, just delete the storage on this disk from BE and format the disk.  You can then define a prooper storage on the disk and start afresh.

Fyi, when you upgrade to BE 2012, if you have multiple B2D folders on your disk.  One of them would be converted to disk storage while the rest will be converted to legacy B2D folder which are read-only.

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

Are you saying that I need to do the following.

Copy all bkf files to other media

re-Format all hard drives

re-create each device in be2012

Assign these devices to storage pool

Point job at new storage pool

What do I do with old BKF files?  They still show as in backup set on these devices.  Do I delete all backup sets and then catalog them from the media they are on after I copy them.

I don't know what I'm going to do with bigger clients that have near a TB of data on each drive.  I don't think I'll be upgrading them anytime soon if this is the fix. No BEDATA on any of them. Where am I going to get all the storage space needed to copy all these bkf files to.  This client runs full backup on a small DB server and each drive can hold 8 backups.  We didn't run weekly's only daily's, monthly's and then yearly's.  So I need to keep at least 5BKFs for each drive for the daily's and six bkf's for each monthly.  WHAT A DISASTER!!  This upgrade has been a bust.  I presume I'll suggest the client move to a different package after the maintenance contract is up.  Getting too big for them and they won't let them change to the small business package with paying for a new contract and we still have a year on the one they have now

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

sorry I saw that you said not to copy the files over to other media but duplicate it from within BUE.  I just forgot when I was writhing the response.  Is everything else what you suggested

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There are a few persons who responded to this discussion.  Do make it clear who you are addressing your questions and be precise as to what you intend to do and what your problems are.

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

Problem:  After upgrade to 2012sp1 all external USB drive say there is no Online or nearline storage available when I run a job.  Running well prior to upgrade with old files being deleted when necessary.  Now there doesn't seem to be any deletions