cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-authoritative restore 2008R2 backup exec 12.5

Level 4

Hi all,

I have 2 DCs which are not replicating, this is after a USN rollback on a virtual DC.

The rollbacked USN was on DC2. I therefore want to perform a non-authoritative restore on this DC for the system state, the documentation I am coming across suggests I have to completely rebuild the server. Is this the case, or can I just reboot and press F8 and perform the restore?  Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct documentation if this is the case?

I am also not 100% certain if I should proceed this way, the reason being is that the USN high water mark is higher on the rollbacked DC2 than the 'normal' DC1, also Exchange is using DC2 for it's authentication as the GC (both DCs are GCs).

Many thanks for any help

Nick

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You should be able to restore just the system state and then follow the choices for making authoritative or non-authoritive for whatever your requirements are.

However in your case I would suggest you do speak to Microsoft just in case there are options that do not require a restore to solve your problem 

BTW were you trying to rollback the complete active directory to a specific date and time (i.e. what was the reason for the rollback you performed as if we knew the reason for your action we might be able to understand if you used the most suitable option.)

Level 4

Basically we had a problem which meant we needed to move the DC onto another host, we used a snapshot, which we've now found out is a no-no and has resulted in a USN rollback against DC2, meaning that replication is no longer taking place between the 2 DCs. We now need to restore DC2's AD to it's state as at 25th November (last full backup) in  order for replication to begin taking place again.

Many thanks

Nick Trenam