cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Appendable

123EDI
Level 2
I Have a Tandberg GTS4000 LTO Tape backup unit running on Windows OS 2008 operating system, Version 12.5 of Backup Exec (Quickstart Edition).

My problem is that all my tapes show as "Not Appendable" and I can't append, I need to overwrite every time, even on very small backups.

I haven't had any luck on the knowledgebase or any place else to fix this issue. Actually, I tried the Tape unit on 2 different servers with the same results. Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yeah

append is set when the first backup set is opened on the tape and never changes

overwrite is set when the last backup set is closed and changes every time you append data

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What is the append period defined for the media set that is written to these tapes?

123EDI
Level 2
All tapes are part of a Media Group I defined with the following characteristics:

Overwrite period 1 hour
Append period 1 hour

Still, the medias under the column "Appendable Until" don't show a particular period, they always show "Not appendable"

123EDI
Level 2
your prior message gave me a clue, I am ashamed to admit I was misinterpreting the command and the message. As soon as I changed the appendable period to a higher value, appending is an option now.  

I guess the Overwrite and Append method parameters are semantically defined the opposite, either way is solved. thanks Ken

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yeah

append is set when the first backup set is opened on the tape and never changes

overwrite is set when the last backup set is closed and changes every time you append data