cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not recognized HP Autoloader

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
Windows Server 2003, Service Pack 1
Veritas Backup Exec Version 10.0, Rev.5484. Installed updates: Service Pack 4 and 3, Hot Fix 36 and 37.
Use two devices: HP Ultrium 460 and HP StorageWorks 1/8 Ultrium 448 AutoLoader. Firmware on both devices was updated to F60D and S54W.
Autoloader not correct recognized by Veritas and use as Stand-alone Drives, not as Robotic Libraries. In adamm.log next message:
0002:0000:0005:0000 Device Name "\\.\Tape0"
Secondary Name "\\?\scsi#sequential&ven_hp&prod_ultrium_2-scsi&rev_s54w#6&6a6d373&0&050#{53f5630b-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}"
Primary Inquiry "HP Ultrium 2-SCSI S54W"
Serial Number "HP Ultrium 2-SCSI HU105434Y1"
Device Flags SCSI, SN(TYPE 1)
Device State 3, Online

Device IDs 1003, {267DBA5D-1DF4-4227-8BEE-C936E0CE36FB}
Device Name "HP 2"
Device Type 134283265, "LTO 64K (64K,10,0,E,HU)"
Device Features 0x000BFB7F
Device Element 0, 0

0002:0000:0005:0001 Device Name ""
Secondary Name "\\.\Changer0"
Primary Inquiry "HP 1x8 autoloader 1.46"
Serial Number ""
Device Flags SCSI
Device State 1, Offline, ERROR = 0x0000007B (ERROR_INVALID_NAME)
24 REPLIES 24

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
You should be using BE drivers, not proprietry

Shutdown the server and remove power

power down and restart the tape libraries

When the tape libraries are back up and at the ready state restart the servers.

If this works then the ug you are experiencing was carried over to version 11d

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
If you still have issues delete all your devices from device manager and go through the process again

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
Try your advice with power restart (all points passed as described) - unfortunately. Windows device manager has recognize as Medium Changers, Veritas only as standalone. HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools correct recognize as robotic library and passed test. This problem not with device or windows, this in Veritas bad determine.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Sounds like it, is your drive on the hardware compatibility list

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
As defined in HW compatibility list (281669) both devices is present. Ultrium 448 has note:
Half-Height drive configuration

Find also in section Tape Libraries with Drives with note:
Initial driver support can be found in"DDI 10.0 20050531". Link to http://support.veritas.com/docs/279944
File BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall20051015_279944.exe to download and install?

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
One details: This device driver installation package supports Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers build 5520.

We have Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers, Rev.5484. That package applicable for us?

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Just because they say it is not supported, it does not mean it will not work, you would be probably better to get your install up to the latest patch release first.

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
Why for one product version 10.0 have two release: 5484 and 5520?

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
I think 5520 has some updates installed

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
Today will be downloaded and installed Service Pack 5 for revision 5484.

Can we install on revision 5484 package for revision 5520? I don't sure that installed SP5 is solution for problem.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
It amy or may not solve the problem but it is always a good idea to have your install service packed and patched to the latest level.

I would imagine that later service packes and patches would have drivers for later model tape drives as they are released.

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
Service Pack 5 installed, server restarted, robotic library not determined. No updates available.
Have any advices?

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
I assume you have got the firmware updated by now, Change the loader and the tape drive scsi ID, make sure that the scsi card is on auto terminate, turn off the scsi bios.

If the loader and tape drive have different scsi IDs change them both but make them consecutive.

Chong_Carl
Level 2
What kind of SCSI card is the autoloader connected to?

I had the EXACT same problem - HP's software said everything was OK with the robot but in BackupExec, the robot didn't work... looked at http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501 and found out that it was my SCSI card.

I replaced the RAID card with a plain non-RAID single channel SCSI card and everything worked fine.

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
Installed Adaptec SCSI 39160 card.
Connected from SCSI card to Ultrium 460 then to Ultrium 448 (Autoloader) and terminated.
In manual for Ultrium 448 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00411112/c00411112.pdf have find requirements: HP strongly recommends that you do not use a SE SCSI bus with 1/8 Tape Autoloader. How I can know which bus i use (LVD or SE)?

Chong_Carl
Level 2
Have you tried removing the chain and just attaching the robotic library and seeing if the problem still exists?

Chong_Carl
Level 2
Oh by the way, the 39160 card's external ports are both LVD/SE so you can actually attach each drive on different ports with terminators on each device if you want to test that way too.

* From Adaptec's site: Do not connect SCSI devices to more than two of the three SCSI Channel A connectors at the same time * For more info just look at your manual to see the diagram of where channel A and B are on the card if you don't know... or you can goto:

http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/user_guides/39160_users_reference.pdf

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
We have tryed to change configuration when problem happened: use all combination of connect both devices. Connected to both external ports separately, connected to same server with same SCSI card.
At now connected to SCSI port A -> Ultrium 460 -> Ultrium 448 -> Terminator.

Ilyas_Kasanov
Level 3
Who can help me?