cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novell Storage Management

Level 3
Hello,

I'm using a windows 2000 professional machine, with Backup Exec 8.6 for Win2000 with Novell Remote Backup programming running on the Novell server.

I'm having problems backing up my Novell server, where the backup periodically (not all the time) fails due to Backup Exec program not being able to attach to the Netware server. The Netware server runs both IPX and IP enviornment, while my client machine runs Netware client with IP only (no IPX).

In Backup Exec, under "Netware SMS", I have "*" displayed as server. The problem is that this may work one day, but then the next day it may fail to attach itself to the Netware server. If it fails, the Novell Storage Mangement is gone out of the browse Backup list .I have to reboot the backup machine before the Novell Storage Management reappears on the list.

If I try to add a server, "myservername", under the "Netware SMS", then when I try to select files to backup using Novell Storage Management, the backup file list displays nothing so I cannot select anything to backup. I can ping my "myservername" and the server name is listed in the windows HOSTS file. It's just that if I add the server namet to the SMS server list, I can't see the Netware file systems to backup. It seems that only the "*" works, and only part of the times at that.

This problem is puzzling me why I can't add my server name without having problems seeing the netware files, and why I must use the "*" to make it work. And when it uses the "*", it only works part of the time, not all the time.

Does anyone have any ideal on this?

I have had no problems using Windows 2000 server with IPX Netware client, instead of IP.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you running Client Services for Netware or the Netware Client on the Media Server?

Level 3
Hi. I'm using Novell Client for Windows 2000.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yeah, you did say that, didn't you?

my first suggestion was going to be switch to the Novell client if you were using the MS client.

Have you removed the client, booted, re-installed, and booted again?
Are you on the latest client or backlevel a little (or a lot?)
What build of v8.6 are you running?

Are you using the latest Netware Agent for v8.6?
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/246316.htm

Level 3
Hi I'm using Novell Client 4.82 Service Pack 2, which is about 2 years out of date.

My Netware Server is 5.1.

I had no problems running just IPX on the media machine, before I reformated and just installed IP only. How do you find out what build of Backup Exec I'm running? Do you mean the revision number? It's 3878. I've installed everything out of package. I've not applied any patches nor updates for the Backup Exec.

I will try all your suggestions. For that download in your link, it says Netware 6. Do you know if it will work with Netware 5.1?

Thanks for your replies.

Level 3
Furthermore, as it just happens, I noticed that the backup worked today(last night). It will work one day, then another, it will fail. I just don't understand what will trigger this - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It would make more sense if it didn't work at all.