cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OST files in backup exec 2010

storage_enginee
Level 3

Hi Community,

I was wondering if anyone knows what option in BE2010 determines how many OST files to create when creating a backup job to the OST device? By default BE create 10 files in the media tab. Can it be changed? If so, then how can this be changed?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

What do you gain buy changing it?  Really nothing.  Stop being a Storage Engineer, and be a backup Admin. wink

All you need to manage is the backups, and having space available for backups.  The file count isn't really relevant.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

lmosla
Level 6

You can check out the options available by right click on the device and check out the properties for the options that can be set for the deduplication device.  Check out this link for Getting the Most Out of theDeduplication Option and Deduplication Storage Folders for more information.

storage_enginee
Level 3
Did not see it under properties. Any other suggestions? Can you be more specific?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

By default BE create 10 files in the media tab. Can it be changed?

Not that I know of.  I know you can change the size, but I have always seen BE create 10 media at a time.

storage_enginee
Level 3

Exactly. I can change the size, number of streams, data chunk size, but not the amount of media (OST) files that BE creates. Anyone knows why is it so, can it be adjusted? Or it is hard set and cannot be changed? It just bugs me why 10, and why it can't be changed?

storage_enginee
Level 3

Can anyone from Symantec answer this?

teiva-boy
Level 6

What do you gain buy changing it?  Really nothing.  Stop being a Storage Engineer, and be a backup Admin. wink

All you need to manage is the backups, and having space available for backups.  The file count isn't really relevant.  

storage_enginee
Level 3
Thanks, great piece of advice. It is irrelevant, I agree, so I guess I will have to live with this.