Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline databases?

TimVervers
Level 3
Good afternoon all!

I've got a little issue here:

We have lots of databases in our server, all backed up by Symantec. Now the problem is, we've put 3 databases offline cause we aren't using them anymore. In any case we decided to keep them for unexpected customers. Now this causes an error while backupping.
Which is saying ''Database cannot be openend cause it's offline''. Event id: 57859 (etcetc)
I wonder if there was an option in symantec's backup exec that can ignore the offline databases while backupping. So we dont need to detachs them.

Kind regards,

Tim Ververs
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Tim,

Yeah, that is quite correct. Unfortunately unless you move those DBs to another server/SQL instance, this will be the only way to not back them up.
Luckily it is an easy fix when you want them backed up again, and it is simply removing the exclusion.

Laters!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Hi,

Go through to your Job Setup tab, and into your selection list. From there you can go into the text mode (2nd tab in the selection list), and edit out your SQL DBs using an exclude command, or simply deselect the DB from the graphical list.

Laters!

TimVervers
Level 3
Heya!

Thanks for your fast response, I've found my database in the text mode. but i can't really figure out what you mean with an ''Exclude command''. I also appriciate your second solution but that's what im trying to avoid. If i disable it and we work on it again. It wont get backed up.

Greats thanks already!

later

CraigV
Take a look in text mode...you will see an option (actually a button) to include/exclude files.

TimVervers
Level 3
Yep found that one. But excluding files means you ''Aren't'' going to back up it am i right?
That's what im trying to avoid, I just wondered if there was an option that could ''ignore'' not disable offline databases without removing them from the scheduled job. Great thanks already.
Later

CraigV
Hi Tim,

Yeah, that is quite correct. Unfortunately unless you move those DBs to another server/SQL instance, this will be the only way to not back them up.
Luckily it is an easy fix when you want them backed up again, and it is simply removing the exclusion.

Laters!

TimVervers
Level 3

Hi Graig

Thanks for your help! With your help i will be able to work it out =)
I guess we just need to pay attention, If we are ever using them again, To click off exclusion again!

Later and thanks for the solution!

CraigV
Cool man, no problems...