cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok... Straight answer now.

Peter_Lyyra
Level 3
Partner
Is it possible to backup a 2 node MS Failover cluster remote. ? EI from a "third" machine.
5 REPLIES 5

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Yes it is possible.
You will have to install the remote agent on both the nodes.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thank You

Thomas_Bianco
Level 5
yes, as stated, install the remote agent on both nodes,

the selection list is kinda complex.

for NODE SPECIFIC DRIVES (like OS etc, stuff that is not shared in the cluster) use the NODE NAME OR NODE IP ADDRESS

for clustered stuff, use the RESOURCE NAME for the resource group that has the physical disk with the data you want to back up./

so let me do an example.

you have 2 nodes, called ClusterNode1 and ClusterNode2, both with the OS and node specific programs on C:

you have 2 LUNs on your shared storage, the Quorum on Q: and the data disk Z:.

you have 2 resource groups. one with just the quorum (Q:), the cluster name "ClusterA" and IP. the second with the data disk (Z:), several services, and the virtual server name,"VServerA" and ip

your selection list should be:
\\ClusterNode1\C:
\\ClusterNode1\VolumeShadowState
\\ClusterNode2\c:
\\ClusterNode2\VolumeShadowState
\\ClusterA\Q:
\\VServerA\Z:

or similar.

Peter_Lyyra
Level 3
Partner
Ok... So I would need to make a User defind selection for the cluster stuff beacuse I don´t see the cluster in remote selection. Right? I do see the induvidual maschines but not the cluster. And if I do that I would need to write it and right? Now why don´t I see any files or folders there under ?

Thomas_Bianco
Level 5
you're probably going to need to create a name resource, one in each failover group. i don't think backup exec supports IP addresses directly.

you'll want an IP and a NAME in each failover group*, and you'll also want the cluster name, cluster ip and quorum in a group by themselves.

i always use user defined selections, it's just easier for me.

*remember, each failover group should contain a disk, and everything that depends on that disk, including IP, NAME, shares and services. microsoft cluster diagnostics can help here.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Peter!

Try creating a user defined selection by entering the IP Address of the resource you want to access.
Also check: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254193.htm

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.