cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Unix Agent with v10 Windows Server

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
I have Unix Agents which show up in my v10 BE gui and are fully browseable, but when I try to run jobs to back them up I get the following errors:

BackupThe Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine NS7.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Backup- NS7Unable to attach to NS7/root.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

I need to get this working, please HELP -
7 REPLIES 7

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
The old Unix agent will show up under Remote Selections then Backup Exec 8.x and 9.x Agents. Is this where you make your selections from? The new Remote Agent for Linux and Unix Servers (RALUS) shows up as 'Unix Agents' and requires a license to back up with this method. The error message you're getting looks like it is trying to connect using the RALUS agent.

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
We are licensed for RALUS, but haven't loaded it on these servers yet. It does appear to be trying to connect via NDMP, but fails. There is a password configured on the agent and the "export" location, but I was never prompted when browsing the location, and browsing will show me all the files (under 8.x and 9.x agents/unix agents).

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

You need to register RALUS licenses on the backup exec media server.The old unix agent will not work with 10.0 backup exec version.

To properly install the RALUS component on Unix host refer the following technote,
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269804.htm

Once this is done then try doing backup of remote unix hosts and observe the results.

Hope this helps.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi Jim,

We apologize for the unintended confusion. The old Backup Exec unix agent works with 10.0,

In order to isolate the issue, please download the unix agent and then reinstall the unix agent. Verify the results.

You can either download the unix agent from the following link:

- VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) UNIX Agent 5.0 revision 5.046
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262592.htm

or

You can also try installing the ralus agent by referring the following technote:

- VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers - Remote Agent for Linux and UNIX Servers (RALUS)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269804.htm

We hope this will help.

Please update us on the issue so that If the issue still persists we can troubleshoot the issue further.

If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be presumed to be answered and will be marked as assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
This seems to be an authentication issue. If I create a new Logon Account with no username and the password of the Unix Agent the backup completes. I still do get the following message:

BackupThe Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine NS7.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.

But then it seems to work.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

This is with referance to your query posted earlier reagrding the UNIX agent with 10.0. It seems the error you received, has now been resolved. If not, do write back to the forum with details.

However if we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.