cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online / Cloud storage

trtechinc
Level 3
Partner

We're looking at using Backup Exec 2012 for our new SBS 2011 server.  We'd like to be able to use online storage but are hesitant because of the amount of data we have (~500GB) and the fact that we are using Exchange Server.  It's my understanding that running backups of Exchange server will cause it to continually be running because it's only 1 file and that file is always changing.  Is there any method of online storage that could be used where it will be block level?  Would it still be advisable to instead continue to use tape or external USB hard drive?  Are there any special Agents that should be considered?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Using dedup and then using optimised dedup to duplicate your data to the cloud would reduce your bandwidth requirement.  However, you need a media server with dedup on the other end and CASO.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

For your licensing requirements, check the TN below which details the new licensing for BE 2012...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178483

I think that in your case, if your data changes so much in your Exchange server (which it will), and it's not feasible to do cloud-based backups, then backup to a local drive (tape/disk).

Tape allows you to take the data off-site if need be, while disk is generally much cheaper now days. This is something your budget will dictate. 500GB of data would mean 1 tape drive and a couple of tapes.

To get the same sort of rotation on external drives will see you buying a number of drives, and having to manually keep track of them (no barcodes). If you want to go the disk-based backup route, a NAS or some sort of large DAS might also be an option.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It's my understanding that running backups of Exchange server will cause it to continually be running because it's only 1 file and that file is always changing..

No.  This is not true.  When you backup Exchange, a snapshot is taken. The state of the Exchange database at that moment is backed up and  the backup job wll end.  The backup job will not run continuously

trtechinc
Level 3
Partner

I agree with that, but at 22GB for the Exchange database to backup to cloud storage at 1.5Mbps it will always be backing up - once it's finished with the first snapshot, it will look changed and backup again.  Unless you are suggesting a dedup option, in which case I'm open to ideas.

trtechinc
Level 3
Partner

I don't know if cloud backup is feasible or not, that's the problem.  Is there some option out there that I could use online backup on a block level basis?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Using dedup and then using optimised dedup to duplicate your data to the cloud would reduce your bandwidth requirement.  However, you need a media server with dedup on the other end and CASO.