cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite protection when using Backup to Disk

Guy_Kerr_2
Level 2
I use a NAS device as my backup-to-disk device in BE 10.0. I created a backup folder and in BE set the disk space reserve to make sure I don't run out of space on the NAS device.

I'm uncertain about how I should set the overwrite setting in my backup jobs now. Should I set all my jobs to use "Append to Media, overwrite if no appendable media is available" instead of "Overwrite media"? I'm leaning to the first option because I'm thinking that the jobs will keep creating new backup devices and once the device hit's its space reserve the jobs will see that there's no media available to append to and start overwriting as needed.

Would this be a good approach when using a NAS device and backup-to-disk folders or is there a more accepted approach?

Guy
5 REPLIES 5

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
keep in mind, that if you would always append (append period = unlimited), all the b2d files would belong to the same tape family and therefore have the same overwrite protection as the last b2d file that was written before you hit the space reserve mark.

Better to limit the append period to a certain amount of days, after these are gone, the system will not append but create a new tape set of B2D files, until their append period is gone as well - and so on and so on. Once the overwrite protection of a previous tape family has run out, the next backup (append if possible - otherwise overwrite) will overwrite those B2D files.

The key are the Media Set settings

Regards

uz.

Ryan_Russell
Level 3
I use the first method you specify. However, I have a retention period set. If I run out of drive space before the retention period allows me to overwrite, I get an error. You might try the "Disk Space Reserve" setting on the properties of the B2D folder, but the help document says that once that limit is reached, the folder will not accept new jobs.
Unfortunately, I think you will need to keep an eye on it and eventually set a retention period rather than count on a full drive to begin overwrites.

Ryan_Russell
Level 3
UZ has a point. You also need to make sure that your max file size in the B2D folder is appropriate for the data you back up. The default setting of 1GB per file has worked well for me in most cases.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

As you have mentioned that you are using NAS device as a backup device with BE v10.0, I would like to know if you have created removable backup to disk folder ?
If not then please do so to be able to take backups.
You may like to refer to the following technote:

How to create a new removable Backup-to-Disk folder in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253764

Regarding Overwrite Protection Period and Append Period, I request you to read the following technote which will give you detailed information about it:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237374.htm

Hope this help you.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Guy_Kerr_2
Level 2
I just want to respond that I'm very appreciative of the great and timely responses I had to this thread. All too often it takes multiple posts and back and forth questions before you get anything "useful" but this was not the case here.

Thanks again for your support

Sincerely

Guy