cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwriteprotection?? Best practice??

Dirk_Franke
Level 3
Hello,

i have a win fileserver with about 1 TB data and a tapelib with 2 ultrium 2 drives, veritas 10.
So i have 4 scheduled, daily backup jobs (named daily1, daily2, daily3 and daily4) and 4 mediasets (named daily1, daily2, ...). In every mediaset there are 8 medias (for 2 weeks). The medias are imported with the import-commando.
The first job starts at 6:15 pm, the second at 7:15 pm , the third and fourth from 0 to 8 pm. Every job runs 3-4 hours. The used media should be overwritten with every backup but no data should be append.
The problem is the configuration of the overwriteprotection and the appendtime. Normally i configured the overwriteprotection to 1 day an the append time to 0.
But this configuration is not ok. When the backup job starts it prompts for a overwriteable media and because of there is no overwriteable media veritas takes a media of the temporary media and uses this for the backup job and additionally veritas mixes the media and the mediasets.

How do i have to configure the overwriteproctection and the appendtime to achieve my goal?

Thank you very much for any tip.

Dirk
3 REPLIES 3

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Regarding Overwrite Protection Period and Append Period, I am forwarding you two technotes which explains in details about it. Kindly go through it and try to configure jobs as per your requirements and backup strategy.

1. An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

2. The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Kindly update incase of any doubts.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Dirk_Franke
Level 3
Hello,

thanks for your reply.
My problem is that every night 4 backupjobs using 4 different mediasets. I set the overwriteprotection to 1 day and the appendable time to 0 hours. Every media should be overwritten every day but not from another job. No data should be append. Tthe backupjob does not take the media from "his" mediaset but takes another media from anywhere and i should accept that the imported media will be overwritten.
How do i have to configure the overwriteprotection and the append time?

Thanks a lot

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Dirk,

In that case you can configure partitions in your robotic library. This technote should help you configure partitions in your library.

Creating, configuring, and targeting a backup job to a Robotic Library partition in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262055

After you have done that, when you configure backups under the Device and Media Tab in the Backup Job Properties Window, select the appropriate partition and Media set on which you want to run the Backups. This will ensure that only tapes belonging to a particular media set and a particular partition will be overwritten and Backup Exec then won't take a tape from any other media set or partition.

Hope this helps you.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Chaitanya Khurjekar