cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2V/B2V for SQL Server

Jay_Cathcart_2
Level 3

I grabbed our copy of Backup Exec 2012 and started playing with it on a test server to get familiar with the interface, methodology, capabilities, etc.

We've got a server that's a good candidate for migration to a VM, so I decided to try out BE's new new P2V/B2V feature to do the migration.  This server is running:
Windows Server 2008 sp2, 32 bit
SQL Server 2008 R2 (10.50.1600)
beremote 14.0.1798.0

The job fails with the following error showing up four times:

V-79-57344-37943 - Streaming SQL backups are not supported by the convert to virtual feature.   Use snapshot full and snapshot incremental (block level) instead.

Neither "streaming," nor "snapshot full," nor "snapshot incremental," nor "block level" appear anywhere in the Admin Guide.

"V-79-57344-37943" is not found anywhere on Symantec's site.

Does anyone have any idea where to go next with this?

I'd imagine we could get the migration to work fine on this server if we stopped all the services and just did a file-level backup, but that rather defeats the purpose, as far as a DR solution goes.  Since the server is in production, it's not something I can just go ahead and try, either.
12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Did you enable the SQL agent on the media server?

Thanks!

Jay_Cathcart_2
Level 3

Yep.

Actually, let me qualify that:

When installing, I provided the license key, and when I go to BE icon button thing --> Installation and Licensing --> License Information, it shows up with "yes" for both licensed and installed.  If that's what you mean by enabling it, then yes.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...next step is to check the Known Issues section below and see if your issue is listed there:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/issues

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Since its a lab environ, if you disbale FILESTREAM, does the conversion complete successfully ?

Jay_Cathcart_2
Level 3

Looking back manually to Dec 2011, there's nothing about this issue.

As an aside - wouldn't the site's search function find it if it was in there?  Or is the Known Issues section not covered by it?

Jay_Cathcart_2
Level 3

Actually, only the server running Backup Exec is a test box.  The target physical system is a ~8 or 9 year old live production server, since we don't have any available hardware to use as a test case (Oh, the joys of working in K-12 with approximately no budget:)

FILESTREAM is not enabled on the target box.  Or at least, in the db's service properties, on the FILESTREAM tab, the "enable FILESTREAM for tsql access" checkbox is not ticked.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

When you were doing the selections for the P2V conversation did you select the SQL agent backups a long with the the drives and system state?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In the SQL backup job properties, is create on-disk copies of SQL backups checked ? If yes, try unchecking it...

Jay_Cathcart_2
Level 3

Create on-disk copies is not checked.

Jay_Cathcart_2
Level 3

Hi, Ben.  I'm not sure what you're asking, here.

If you're asking if the instance of SQL Server was selected in the same selection list with the drives and system state, then yes.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

When you created your job, did you "Backup to Disk and Then Convert", "Backup to disk and Simultaneously Convert" or did you select "Convert to virtual from Point-In-Time"?

Jay_Cathcart_2
Level 3

B2D then convert.

thanks