cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition image

FD
Level 3
We are setting up the backup infrastructure in our company using Backup Exec 10d.
We would like to perform the system image of a dozen of machine's drives but I am currently not able to understand the way to do it.

The goal would be for example on some testing machines to make a clean system+programs install, then make an image, do tests/install dirty things, etc... and then restore the system to the clean installation status.

If I got it right I should make a selection list that includes all the shadow copy components and all the other partitions.
To restore I should start the target machine in the "backup exec safe mode" and perform a restore.

Unfortunately I was not able to restore anything, after the restore the system was exactly like before, i.e. it had not rolled back to the backed-up state.

Now my question is: is this beyond/outside the scope of Backup Exec? Should we get Backup Exec System Recovery or we can achieve this goal with the software we currently have?

Thanks,
Francesco
4 REPLIES 4

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Please explain what you wnat to do and what all steps you have performed ?

Do you want to perform intelligent disaster recovery or any other Image software ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

FD
Level 3
Our goals are the following:

1. we have some development and testing machines, we install the operating system, some applications and then we want to save that configuration.

Then we perform some tests on those machines: we install other softwares, etc.
After some weeks we are done with the tests and we want to start over with the clean configuration but without the hassle of reinstalling windows/apps/etc.

2. On the other hand we have some workstation and some servers (not critical, i.e. they can be shutdown and restarted without problems) with a configuration that does not change a lot over time.
With those machines we just want to have a disk image ready in the case something goes wrong. In that case we want to restore the systems with a recent image (say one month old or something like that), without having to reinstall/configure everything manually.

Hope this is clearer.

Thanks,

Francesco

FD
Level 3
Also the workstations are running xp sp2, the servers are running 2003 enterprise.

This is rather urgent now.

Thanks,
Francesco

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This is one of the major reasons to do full system backups

Does the Restore Job log have any entries that would indicate a problem with the restore? Do the Backup Jobs complete with no errors?