cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help: Duplication Job Never Finishes

Q-Man31
Level 2

I created a new policy that runs the daily incremental and then when it's finished, it's supposed to run a duplicate job to tape (which I can then store off-site for disaster recovery).  Well, the daily incremental job runs fine and the duplication job appears to kick off as scheduled but then it never finishes.

The job has been running for close to 24 hours now and has not completed despite the fact that the daily incremental job only took 2 and half hours to run (135 GB total size).  The byte count seems to be stuck on 39,984 and has not changed. 

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong here?  I've searched the boards for answers but nothing quite matches up with my issue.  If you've had this issue or know how to fix it, please let me know.  FYI, I have created the job according to instructions from the admin guide (page 443) as well as instructions given to me by my Symantec instructor but still no luck.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Q-Man31
Level 2

UPDATE:

The job still didn't finish so I cancelled the job but it just kept saying cancel pending so I restarted the services.  Then the job showed up in the Job History as failed.  Here's what the error was.  Now before you read any further, it should be noted that I did NOT check off the option "Collect additional information for Synthetic backup and for true image restore" as recommended in this forum.  Anyways, here's the message:

Backup set #1: "Duplicate_Daily_Inc_Template2"
Storage media #1: "Media created 10/8/2008 11:17:43 AM"
Backup started on 10/8/2008 at 11:39:37 AM.
A timeout occurred in the messaging involved in collecting additional information for synthetic backup and for true image restore.
V-79-57344-2307 - A timeout occurred in the messaging involved in collecting additional information for synthetic backup.

The issue is not with ADBO and deleting and recreating the policy did not help.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.  And if anyone has any knowledge about this issue possibly being resolved in version 12.5, please let me know.

Q-Man31
Level 2

ISSUE RESOVLED:

I apparently missed a setting in the Global settings of Backup Exec 12 and once I fixed that, I was able to correct the problem.

For those of you who run into this issue, you can read the following article for assistance and be sure to follow the instructions exactly so you don't miss something like I did:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/292697.htm