cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Level 2
I receive this message before a backup completes.
"Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media."

The backup job will run for about 1.5 hours before this message occurs. It keeps popping up when I say Yes or Cancel. I will also get a message that "There is no tape in the drive", even though there is.

My overwrite protection is set to NONE under tools->options->media management. My media set's overwrite protection period is NONE.
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
have you tried inserting a scratch tape before you hit "OK"

Sounds like the tape is filling up, and BackupExec is asking for a new, overwriteable tape.

Be aware the a device rated at (eg ) 20/40GB means 20 GB uncompressed and 40 GB compressed at 2:1. But 2:1 compression is a marketing thing, not an engineering thing. See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

I generally figure on about 1.3:1 as a rule of thumb.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

Backup Exec will choose the media for backup depending upon how the following parameters are set:
1. Overwrite Protection Period
2. Append Period
3. Overwrite Protection Level
Refer to the following TechNotes for more information:
As mentioned in our previous mail refer to the following TechNotes:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192265.htm
An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237374.htm

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas

Level 2
The tape was getting filled up. I tried selecting a lot less data and it ran fine. I started adding things until I hit the limit.

Thanks for the help!

Robert_Cibrario
Level 3
Is there any way (other than tape formatting) to override the overwrite protection ascribed to a media set? Actually where is the protection check performed? At initial installation I incorrectly set the overwrite protection period. Many weeks latter I had to re-install Backup Exec 9.1 and when I went o perform a backup it alerts that I need to install overwriteable media.

Neither the BUE GUI nor the CLI Applet appear to give one that ability.
thanks

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
> Is there any way (other than tape formatting) to
> override the overwrite protection ascribed to a media
> set? Actually where is the protection check
> performed? At initial installation I incorrectly set
> the overwrite protection period. Many weeks latter I
> had to re-install Backup Exec 9.1 and when I went o
> perform a backup it alerts that I need to install
> overwriteable media.

You can change those times by going to the propterties of the media set. Remember that this time goes in when you first start to use a tape. So a tape made with an OPP of 4 will still have this time after you changed the OPP properties of the media set. (see "append period" in the BE help)

Regards
A van der Boom