cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please someone answer this sinple CPS question!!

BallandBiscuit
Level 3

I am protecting some fileshares with CPS.  When I back this up with BE what should I be selecting?

Should I be using latest snapshot or protected resources?

The CPS job is continuous.  Does it need to be stopped in order to make the backup?

What do I need to backup with BE to be able to restore the CPS server should it fail?

I want to take a full to tape once a week and differentials on weeknights.

Thank you!  The admin guides are no help here as they don't really mention much about how the two products work together. 

2 REPLIES 2

Gumball
Level 2
use the snapshots, this won't conflict with CPS when backing up dynamically.  Otherwise with protected resources you run the risk of file conflicts.

James_DeVoy
Level 2

If you use the snapshots, are you still able to do one weekly full then daily differentials?  If you are using the selection "latest snapshot", wouldn't it just backup the entire snapshot everyday (with the size of our CPS protected data, we would be burning through tapes like crazy if that is the case). Or do the snapshots just contain the changes for each day?

I agree with the original poster - the documentation for using BE and CPS together is horribly lacking.  Then again, nobody at Symantec Tech Support really seems to know the "best" way to backup CPS data to tape, they tell me something different every time I talk to them.