cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with B2D not writing over data and filling disks.

jcampbell1
Level 2
I have had 12.5 Backup Exec for some time now and have had allot of 100% backups. I am running into a problem were my differential gets full and then hangs waiting for media. I have only one option (that I know of) delete the actual folders of old back ups in the drive itself.

I have inventoried the media cataloged the media, made sure the media protection is set correctly and that the media is associated with the media set. Still having problems. I am not sure what I am missing but the full back up seems to be fine it is only the differential.

Any help would be nice, also if you need more info please let me know where I need to go to get it. I am not an expert so if you say I need "**" info I will not know exactly were it is located.

Thanks,
Jeremy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From Tools\Options\Media management,  verify that overwrite is either FULL or PARTIAL, not NONE, then make sure that you select "use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media"

Next set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set so that data is protected for as longs an you want

This won't delete old BKF files, but will reuse the existing ones rather than trying to create new ones

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From Tools\Options\Media management,  verify that overwrite is either FULL or PARTIAL, not NONE, then make sure that you select "use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media"

Next set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set so that data is protected for as longs an you want

This won't delete old BKF files, but will reuse the existing ones rather than trying to create new ones

jcampbell1
Level 2

I changed the setting to partial and the second setting you refered to was set but only lit up after I checked the first box. I think that was my problem.

I have the period set to 1 hour mainly because I am not worried about the time.

I will have another backup run tonight but it will not get close to filling the disk. Are you saying that this will just use the same files instead of creating new ones so it wont fill up that way?

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you saying that this will just use the same files instead of creating new ones so it wont fill up that way?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Correct

I have the period set to 1 hour mainly because I am not worried about the time

So you only want to keep the diffs for hour?

jcampbell1
Level 2
Not that I am not worried about the time but I have two 1TB drives that get changed out every day. To make it easy I made them both have the same drive letter, they are never attached to the computer at the same time. about every two weeks or so they have issues with no space. But I have to sometimes restart a differential in the morning and do not want to have to wait a long time to be able to start the back up again. I might be totally off base in my thinking but it seems to work.

Let me know if I am wrong.

THanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Not that I am not worried about the time but I have two 1TB drives that get changed out every day. To make it easy I made them both have the same drive letter, they are never attached to the computer at the same time. about every two weeks or so they have issues with no space. But I have to sometimes restart a differential in the morning and do not want to have to wait a long time to be able to start the back up again. I might be totally off base in my thinking but it seems to work.

OK, but I'd still set the OPP of the DIFF media set to 1 week or so.  (Then again, i'm kind of a belt and suspenders kind of guy.  )

jcampbell1
Level 2
Still having the problem. It will get to 1.4 MB left and stop and wait for media. I am not going to change anything until I hear from someone but this is getting old.

Thanks