cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons between BE 2010 R2 and BE 2012

Rocky77
Level 4

Hello everyone,

We recently upgrde our licenses from BE 2010 R2 to BE 2012 but my boss wants to know what is the pros and cons between these two before upgraging to BE 2012;

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Lots of cons to be honest...ideally you want to be on BE 2010 R3 at the moment while BE 2012 is on beta which starts in a couple of weeks. Symantec are making a number of feature and support changes to BE 2012.

Check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5216

I'd say wait for BE 2012 R2 to be released and bedded down before upgrading to it.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV

Hi,

Lots of cons to be honest...ideally you want to be on BE 2010 R3 at the moment while BE 2012 is on beta which starts in a couple of weeks. Symantec are making a number of feature and support changes to BE 2012.

Check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5216

I'd say wait for BE 2012 R2 to be released and bedded down before upgrading to it.

Thanks!

Rocky77
Level 4

Thank You Craig,

Do you know in BE2010 R2 how I can get a report on all backup schedule jobs and how many hours each taking time either incremental or full. I need this report.

Thank You

King_Julien
Level 5

About the reports, with 2010 there was a tool, I think it was called bemcmd, can't remeber now. Try that, but it wasn't so flexible.

With be2012 there's a more powerfull tool called bemcli, it's awesome. 

And about the upgrade, how many servers are being backed up?

CraigV

BE 2010 has some canned report which you can check out...

King_Julien
Level 5

Indeed. 

Just my personal experience with reports in be (again, this is my personal experience), most of the time they show me incorrect data, I thought it was that specfic installation of backup exec perhaps some issue with the DB, but when I had the chance to deal with several be's with different versions, I noted that it was the same. So I don't trust them so much. Once again, this is my personal experience, I'm not saying that those report aren't usefull.

Still, as I mentioned before, i found bemcli extremely usefull on 2012 to get some custom reports. It's a pain to learn it if you are not familiar with powershell, but it really worth it. In fact, I use a basic custom script to show me the backup status of the last day on html format instead of checking them on the GUI.

Regards

Rocky77
Level 4

Thank you both but I am using BE 2010 R2;

Craig, how i can use canned report as you mentioned or any place that i can take the report for one time; my manager wants to see the schedule for eache job about 30 servers and how long it takes time.

Thank you very much

CraigV

...I don't have BE in front of me, but check through the reports available under the Reports tab.

By the way, BE 2010 R3 is EXACTLY the same as BE 2010 R2 but it fixed a number of issues with the previous 2 versions of BE 2010...same looks, same installation procedure, same hardware and software supported.

Thanks!

Rocky77
Level 4

how i can close it?

CraigV

Rocky77: Hit the "Mark as solution" button at the bottom of the relevant post.

Thanks!