cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pull Tapes in Slot Order

Charles_Childre
Not applicable
Can the software be setup to pull tapes in drive order number, currently it pull them at random.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you load in the tapes, re-label them starting with slot 1

BackupExec will use the "oldest": tape that it can see first - That is the one that has been in Scratch status longest.

walt_zschirnt
Level 3
Hi Charles,

The problem, from what I've seen on my tapes, is that the time stamp on the tapes goes down to the second. The time stamp for jobs only goes to the minute. So, when you submit multiple tape label jobs, if you are fast enough, it will have several jobs with the same time on them (within the same minute).

The Job Manager picks the jobs in what seems to me to be a random order within that same minute, so tape in slot 3 may actually be labeled a few seconds before the tape in slot 1, so tape 3 is older when it comes to picking which tape to use to write to.

The only way I've found to make slot 1 be the first tape is to submit label jobs slowly - one per minute. Or not worry about which tape is really the first tape, if they are all a part of a backup set, ie; all tapes in the changer are part of the 'Weekly Backup Set'. Veritas doesn't care if the first tape of the set is really in slot 4.

If you are trying to make slot 1 be Monday, slot 2 be Tuesday, etc, you have to make different Media Sets for each day or use different Partitions on the tape drive, but that is another can of worms.

Good luck.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

You can create drive pools and assign priority to a drive.
You may refer to the following technote.

(title) Creating and configuring drive pools in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262932

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.