cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to apply x updates on 2008 servers

brucefan
Level 3

Running BE 2010 R2 with the lastest Live Update fixes.  When choosing the "Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers" option, on the Remote Computers Screen where you can add servers and see the status of existing Remote Agent installations, all of our Windows 2008 servers are saying "Ready to apply 4 updates".  If we hit next, it shows all the agents updating and completing successfully...but if we go back into the screen, they still say ready to apply...   None of our 2003 servers have this issue (18 servers), only the 2008 ones (15 servers).   If I compare the actual beremote.exe and other files, they're up to date.  Does anyone else have this issue?   I called into support but they didn't give a solution...only that if the file versions are ok that our installation is fine....but I'd like to see if there's a way to stop the non-missing updates from being reported as missing.    I've uninstalled agents, rebooted the servers (media server as well as remote servers).

6 REPLIES 6

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Could you elaborate which fixes are actually installed? (BE Console: Help\About\Installed Updates).

IIRC: there was a hotfix shortly released after SP1 for BE2010R2 which should address this issue.

Another possibility would be to manually remove the Remote Agent on one of the affected machines and manually install the agent again. To do that copy the Folder \Agents\RAWS32 or \Agents\RAWSx64 (depending on the Server's cpu architecture) from the BE Installation folder to the server and execute setup.exe

brucefan
Level 3

Sp1 is installed and hotfixes installed are 150096, 144101, 148347, 153090 and 147674.   I saw the 150096 update fixes "RAWS reports that there are no updates to install" after SP1 but that's the opposite of the issue I'm seeing.    All my 2008 servers (we only have 2008 R2....no 2008 32 bit to test this on) are reporting there are updates to install when there aren't. 

On a new Windows 2008 R2 install with no agents installed, I copied the RAWSx64 folder over, ran setup.exe manually...when finished added the server to the BE 2010 remote server console and it says "Ready to install 4 updates"...go through the process of updating...still says 4 updates to install.    

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Strange, do the actual jobs complain about detecting an old agent on the remote machines, or is this only visible in the push wizard?

brucefan
Level 3

No, jobs don't complain at all...it's only the push wizard. 

Also, just to note....we originally had this issue when our media server was installed on a Win 2003 32 bit server...it was an upgrade from 12.5 to 2010 R2.  We decomissioned that server so we then installed the media server on a Win 2008 R2 server so it's a fresh install...we did move the db over to the new install though.  

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well then honestly I'd just ignore it. As you already described you verified the file version and you get no warnings in the job log. So the version is definatly the newest one.

If the backup itself detects an outdated agent on one of the servers which get backed up it will log a warning in the job log, so you'll notice it when checking your job statuses.

The other option of course is to log a case with symantec.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...might want to try repairing the BEDB through BEutility. It will repair any issues being experienced. There is no data loss with this...